General Concentrate Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello fellow homebrewers. I need a little help. Im making a red wine from concentrate, the recipie i had said to use 4 cans and well i used 5, because i wanted a stronger grape flavor. Is there anything tht could go wrong because of that. Any help would be appreciated

Arpolis said:
Here is a tried and true Welch's frozen concentrate recipe:

1 gallon

4 cans of Welch's 11.5oz frozen concentrate (flavor of choice except white grape raspberry. It ferments to be very tart)
1 TBS or 3 tea bags of favorite black tea (I like earl grey)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to 1 gallon
Yeast (I like lalvin 71b for its tendency for making nice young wines)

This is very simple. Just mix everything together even the tea just loose in the must and only add half your water at first. Shake up and aerate the jug/carboy well. Add the remaining water. Rehydrate yeast per package directions and pitch yeast. This should be finished fermenting in 1-2 weeks. Cold crash if possible and this should be crystal clear with very tightly packed lees in another 1-2 weeks. Siphon off the clear liquid into bottles. Done! If you want a sweeter wine the siphon off the clear liquid into another jug and add 1 crushed Camden tablet, 1/2 tsp of sorbate and 12 hours later 1 can of concentrate. Watch the wine for another week to make sure fermentation does not pick up and then feel free to bottle.

My first time with this recipie, not my first with wine. 100%grape concentrate. I also used ec-1118.

If you've done it before and just want to kick up the flavor a notch go for it. When we're just talking random frozen concentrate it should be fine. I was worried you were talking about some fancy real wine kit concentrate.

brazedowl said:
I've never done a straight cranberry one! you do what... 2 concentrates? how much sugar?

Just looked back at my notes, I did 2 cans, 2 cups table sugar, D47 and a little bit of nutrient.

brazedowl said:
If you've done it before and just want to kick up the flavor a notch go for it. When we're just talking random frozen concentrate it should be fine. I was worried you were talking about some fancy real wine kit concentrate.

I know better than to do that.

just transferred to my second stage carboy. The recipe is an 80% white grape and 2 cans of raspberry pie filling and it's extremely cloudy should I have any concerns or just let it ride. I use Vintner's Harvest CY17 yeast seems to have fermented well for the two weeks..
:tank:

just transferred to my second stage carboy. The recipe is an 80% white grape and 2 cans of raspberry pie filling and it's extremely cloudy should I have any concerns or just let it ride. I use Vintner's Harvest CY17 yeast seems to have fermented well for the two weeks..

Just give it time and it will clear on it's own. You can always use a fining agent like bentonite if you are impatient.

Did you add any pectic enzyme before you pitched the yeast? That pie filling is practically jelly in the amount of pectin, and although great for flavor, it can sometimes leave it cloudy pretty much forever without clearing agents.

I just whipped up a batch of cran-grape from concentrate and a batch of grape-strawberry-cranberry-cherry (mix of concentrate, and pie filling).

Made this twice (grape cranberry for one and strawberry kiwi ) and both times they don't really taste like either flavor?

Will age help this at all? Both fermented to 1.000.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Made this twice (grape cranberry for one and strawberry kiwi ) and both times they don't really taste like either flavor?

Will age help this at all? Both fermented to 1.000.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

I find that doing cran-grape you need to err with more cran than grape. A 50/50 mix will pretty much just taste like grape.

I haven't had much success with strawberry anything because it's just such a light flavor.

Did you add any pectic enzyme before you pitched the yeast? That pie filling is practically jelly in the amount of pectin, and although great for flavor, it can sometimes leave it cloudy pretty much forever without clearing agents.

I just whipped up a batch of cran-grape from concentrate and a batch of grape-strawberry-cranberry-cherry (mix of concentrate, and pie filling).

Wow thanks for the little tip on clearing help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Hi

ok so I have done this several times all amazing but I don't clear it I don't kill the yeast (fleischmann's yeast) getting 11 to 14 ABV. I just drink it

what is the benefits of champagne yeast over fleischmann's yeast?
why clear it?
why kill the yeast?

I just bottled some with bottling sugar to see what happens in 4 weeks I am hooping it clears and is carbonated

Champagne yeast ferments cleaner with less yeasty taste. And WOW, I've never heard of bread yeast getting that high. Ive heard 9% max. What did you bottle in? If you bottled in wine bottles and your yeast is active it will either blow your quarks or make the bottle explode.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I agree. Bread yeasts make... well... bread-y tasting wine. A pack of redstar runs less than $0.50 and will make a shocking difference. The yeast is bread (as in producing offspring, not food) to flocculate, clump together and settle out. Bread yeast will float around for a damn long time.

Can I just use appropriate quanities of regular juice (such as cranberry) since, I live in the country and the frozen juice selection at my local store is very limited. We've got the basics only. Besides, if I bought 10 containers there wouldn't be anything left for anyone else. :) I saw another recipie on here where the guy used regular juice. Just wondering.

How normal is it for my wine to still be bubbling? It's at 9 days and still bubbling

So will this be ready by 1 month time, or should I wait longer to bottle? I haven't checked the gravity yet to see what it's sitting at

So will this be ready by 1 month time, or should I wait longer to bottle? I haven't checked the gravity yet to see what it's sitting at

Add some yeast nutrients and a month should be fine. It is fast for a wine but these concentrate wines don't require a lot of aging usually.

I'm doing one with 50/50 grape concentrate and apple concentrate and I'm going to bottle carb it.

Good Day. New to the site, new to making wine. Just wondering how you made out with bottle carbonating this recipe? I currently have two batches on the go and would like to bottle carb after fermentation. Thank you

Good Day. New to the site, new to making wine. Just wondering how you made out with bottle carbonating this recipe? I currently have two batches on the go and would like to bottle carb after fermentation. Thank you

If you have the plastic corks and wires, fine. Otherwise I would recommend using beer bottles and crimp caps (or I suppose you could use screwcap wine bottles) to hold the pressure. Whichever type you use, I would check a bottle after about two to three days, then once a day after that, until you get the carbonation you want, then pasteurize the lot of them. That will stop the fermentation so the basement doesn't become a mine field of shrap-glass.
I carbed 1/3 of my mead
In beer bottles I didn't need
It worked out just fine
As tasty as wine
And now it gets drunk with great speed

Well, my first batch of wine from concentrate (Apple-Cherry) stopped burping about two weeks ago. As it is sitting on the floor of the guest shower, it's real hard to tell if it is clear, yet. Perhaps I'll take a flashlight upstairs in the morning and hold it around the backside of the carboy. If it's clear, I might just have time to bottle it before work.

Meanwhile, there is a batch of all cherry wine sitting next to it that is still burping about 4 - 5 times/minute.

Next on the runway will be a 5-gal batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. My first gallon tasted so good, it's about gone.

Wine, beer, and mead
Gives us the pleasure we need
But this brewing addiction
Is quite an affliction
My back yard is going to seed

If you have the plastic corks and wires, fine. Otherwise I would recommend using beer bottles and crimp caps (or I suppose you could use screwcap wine bottles) to hold the pressure. Whichever type you use, I would check a bottle after about two to three days, then once a day after that, until you get the carbonation you want, then pasteurize the lot of them. That will stop the fermentation so the basement doesn't become a mine field of shrap-glass.
I carbed 1/3 of my mead
In beer bottles I didn't need
It worked out just fine
As tasty as wine
And now it gets drunk with great speed
I treated mine sort of like beer, less the priming sugar (2 weeks primary and then bottle) then drink it when it isn't cloudy anymore. The results were more then impressive (fizzy, not too dry not too sweet, and a good kick) All I can say is a few bottles of this is quite dangerous!! I increased the sugar content to yield about 14% abv. and I will certainly be making this again.

I may have to give one of these frozen juice wines a try. Have to see what is available next time I go to the store. Any benefit to adding frozen fruit to the concentrate?

Has anybody done this using the minute maid frozen concentrates? I have have bunch of them and noticed each can when diluted makes approx 1.25L or 1/3 gallon. Should I bump up to 3 cans for a 1 gallon batch?

Is an airlock necessary in primary or will a towel over the bucket suffice. Been going pretty good in bucket for almost a week now. Was thinking of checking gravity and racking into air locked carboy. Just wanna make sure the week not air locked didn't spoil the wine. Smells delicious as its a mixed wild berry blend. Just hate to loose 6 gallons of this because I was too busy/lazy to put in carboy. Thank you.

Just made an outstanding batch of this for my friends wedding. Did it in plastic five gallon jugs. With airlocks. No reracking.
7# sugar
6 cran concentrate
5 grape concentrate
1tbl nutrient
Water to fill carboy
D47 yeast

I just let it sit in the jug 5 months until it wa cleared up.

Well, started racking my mixed berry wine yesterday and it appeared rusty colored and had a funky taste. It appears to have oxidized and spoiled. Down the drain it went.
Started another batch today, but put in a carboy immediately. Hope for the best this time around.
Already good activity in air lock.

Does this recipe need to be back sweetened? About 3 weeks into my second attempt at my first batch. Getting ready for first racking. Just bottled my skeeter pee which needed to be back sweetened. Thanks.

The recipe as it stands ends a little sweet.

I have found that this depends on what juice concentrate you use. I make a blueberry pomegranate for my wife that ends very sweet but if I use anything that is heavily Apple or grape it runs dry. The welchs 100% grape always runs dry for me. Cheers.

Back