4/20/13

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it need more conditioning? 5 months is fast for a mead.

Makes me think of the wasabi-pilsner idea I had. I tested it out with wasabi dissolved in a pilsner: no hotness, all vegetal. Not bad but not good either.

Maybe I can resurrect this idea as a wasabi mini-mead (my name for 1 gallon test batches). I'd only be out 3 lbs of clover honey and a packet of yeast.

Thanks Creamy.

Sorry for taking this off topic, but I need to talk this out with someone who also brews the unusual.

I just figured out why the wasabi pilsner experiment failed. The heat in wasabi isn't oil based, like it is in peppers. This makes it easily washed away it diluted.

It's also antimicrobial, so it might inhibit yeast growth/fermentation.

Maybe the way to approach this is to add a big dose of powdered wasabi at bottling instead of using wasabi paste or wasabi root.

Yes! Added the link!

I have seen Creamygoodness, and his SWMBO's friend (Kitten?) is cute.
Congratulations, you've made a methegetable mead!

I can imagine you walking through the produce section at the supermarket, or better yet, at the Asian market, looking at things, turning them over in your hands, sniffing them & maybe even tasting them; muttering to yourself "I wonder if I could ferment this?"

Regards, GF. :mug:

Awesome, gratus fermentatio,

Now I have "methegetable mead" stuck in my head.

Also, "Can it ferment?" is a podcast that needs to be made.

Back