especialy active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onedon

Reaction score
Yo brewers,
Sunday I brewed up a Shiner clone, because I plan on having it at a party where the beer drinkers aren’t really into dark beer. Everything seemed to go really well. I was supposed to end up with a beginning gravity of 1.70, but I ended up with 1.66 which I’m fine with because I thought my last brew was a tad watery. I left about 6-7” clearance in the top of my bucket. After I added my liquid yeast once my temp dropped to about 75f I went to bed. The next morning it had started active fermentation, and looked good. After I got home from work there was beer in my air lock, some yeast sediment, and even some spilled beer on top of the bucket. Do I need to worry?

nope, no worries. just a good active ferment. about what temp is the brew at? sometimes warmer temps (75 range) will make the yeasties go banana's.

nice clone by the way. get it from AHS?

Thanks. I wasn't too worried. It’s fermenting at about 65-72f I got the clone recipe from my hb shop. I don’t remember what book they got it from. It seems to be a pretty good brew.

Yep, that'll happen! Just had it happen to me with a porter last weekend. I had to quickly rig up my blow-off tube into a bucket of water!

I had the same thing happen years ago. I now use a blow-off tube (runs into a 1/2 gallon growler filled 1/2 way with weak iodophor solution) for the primary and then an airlock partially filled w/ cheap vodka for the secondary. No worries! Let us know how that Shiner turns out.
Jeff

Onedon said:
Yep, Lewisville TX, near Dallas

cool. i used to live in dallas (monfort & preston oaks just north of 635, east of the toolway).

welcome aboard and keep us posted on the Shiner clone!

El Pistolero, i dig the devotchka avatar! ;)

El Pistolero said:
The Fighting Farmers! I've always wondered what you guys were so PO'd about. ;)
EL P. there you go again..makin me spit beer on my monitor...Hey Onedon..next time you brew up a high OG like that use a blow-off tube .Some yeast will suprise the livin daylights out of you and creep all over your walls if your not looking.

Back