Redundant thread about beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
So, when did this turn into an uptight academic organization that can't tolerate conversation? Oh wait, I've only been on this forum for about 7 months or so, I don't have any right to ask questions like that. Sorry. I should've searched to see if anybody else posted something like this before. Sorry.

Here's some advice that might contribute to a lower level of stress related to annoyances. And stop me if you have thought of this before. If you see a thread similar to another thread and that redundancy really gets on your nerves, DON'T READ IT. If it gets on your nerves because it duplicates a thread you posted and nobody is responding to your thread, it's not because people hate you or don't respect you.

I don't know how much time everybody else on here spends reading this forum (maybe some of you are speed readers), but I know I don't have enough time to read every thread that pops up. And there are plenty of times when searching results in something less than productive lists of links to unrelated threads. And the new way the forum is keeping track of threads we haven't read really streamlines my frustration with not being able to tell which threads are actually new and which ones I've already ignored once before. It's great. I get discouraged from reading this forum almost instantly after pulling up the page. It's wonderful what technology can do for us, when it is implemented with such accuracy and precision.

Also, if you can't handle being civil when discussing/commenting on something that only has a vague connection to politics, just be aware that can/will have some influence on what people think of you. And I'm sure you don't care, just thought it was fair to provide a little reminder.

I tend to hop on certain hobbies when they are becoming more main streamed and its been pretty consistent with the way things are going here. There has been a MASSIVE growth in Homebrewing and with it, comes people who are no knowledgeable about the subject, which tends to annoy some of the more experienced brewers. Combined with folks new folks who think they are ahead of the curve and spout misinformation about the topic.

Both the 'annoyed' experienced brewers and, apparently you, need to take a step back and realise this is the ****ing internet. Its a harsh place, hell, I actually tell everyone that is getting into the hobby to AVOID internet research. Both because of annoyed experienced folks and because 50% of the information found on this site and be contradicted by the other 50% of information.

However, this site does hold invaluable information and this post is pretty much as useless as an experienced brewer getting angry at a noob.

phoenixs4r said:
I tend to hop on certain hobbies when they are becoming more main streamed and its been pretty consistent with the way things are going here. There has been a MASSIVE growth in Homebrewing and with it, comes people who are no knowledgeable about the subject, which tends to annoy some of the more experienced brewers. Combined with folks new folks who think they are ahead of the curve and spout misinformation about the topic.

Both the 'annoyed' experienced brewers and, apparently you, need to take a step back and realise this is the ****ing internet. Its a harsh place, hell, I actually tell everyone that is getting into the hobby to AVOID internet research. Both because of annoyed experienced folks and because 50% of the information found on this site and be contradicted by the other 50% of information.

However, this site does hold invaluable information and this post is pretty much as useless as an experienced brewer getting angry at a noob.

Well played sir......

Relax. The world is full of things that will try to cause you discomfort. Take a deep breath and let the awful things drift by.

The better you do this, the easier your life at work, home, even on the internet, becomes. React, and you just delay nirvana. Your choice, but I'm floating 2 inches above my chair right now and I can tell you it feels great. Cheers!

As an aside, I'd like to mention that the phpBB search function is garbage. You can almost always find things faster and more accurately on this site by going to google and using the following:

site:homebrewtalk.com search terms go here

with no space between site: and homebrewtalk.com.

You can also search for exact phrases or combinations of words by putting quotation marks around those works like searching for

site:homebrewtalk.com "saison yeast"

rather than just searching

site:homebrewtalk.com saison yeast

Which, like the crap phpBB search function on the site will give you results for threads which use only one of those words, although google's search algorithm is much better and prioritizes results that contain both, and further prioritizes results that have those two words close together.

Many people don't know those little tricks, but they work awesomely. You will get much better search results doing that.

I get tired of reading these redundant threads about people complaining about redundant threads.

Ha,exactly. But Im not tired of anything redundant,I dont have to reply to a thread I feel is repeated.Some people are actually nice enough to find a better thread and link it for the O.P.on his/her thread for them.

Pappers_ said:
"Relax, Francis."

Sgt. Hulca, Stripes

I prefer it this way:

francis.jpg

Back