CO2 Kegging Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC0032

Reaction score
My setup is a converted keggerator into a 3 tap ball lock system with an external 10lb CO2 tank. This has a primary regulator and a Y to a secondary regulator inside the cooler. Thus 3 ball locks at 2 pressures.

My Problem: after 10-14 days the CO2 tank empties. Everything is good for the first few days and the 3 ball locks all appear to be under pressure; not fully carbed but I got a solid "hiss" when I lifted the vent ring.

ANY IDEAS?

You have a leak somewhere, obviously. Do you have any valves you can shut to isolate sections?

I figured it was a leak just don't know why it takes 2 weeks for the CO2 to blow.

Tomorrow refill the CO2 tank, and tear-down the system and replace all CO2 lines.

It took a while because it's a small leak. Replacing CO2 lines wont do much, chances are it's a loose/bad seal, oring or fitting. Spray it all down with soapy water or star san to find the leak.

Yeah, don't bother replacing the gas lines unless you've clearly identified that as the source of the leak, which is pretty unlikely. as Zachattack says, it's almost certainly some point in your system where two separate objects are fitted together - somewhere in the regulator, the lid, a post, or the connection between the beer line and a hose barb.

A couple weeks ago I lost a good chunk of a CO2 tank when there was a leak at the nut of a flare fitting on a QD.

Get some water with some dish detergent diluted in it and spray every connection on your system. Guaranteed you'll find some bubbles and solve your problem.

If you have shut offs on your lines you could pressurize the system (kegs) with all the valves shut. Turn off the tank and check back in 12-24 hrs. If both of the gauges have not changed then energize (open valve) on another branch and so on all the .

From the sound of it you have a rather substantial leak, I would concentrate on the high pressure side of the circuit.

Back