Wine/apple jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordybrows

Reaction score
Hey I have just been told about something called "applejack" and am very keen to give it a go. I have also just made some birch sap wine, my question is, has anyone tried the same process used in making applejack for other wines and how did it go?i plan to use my birch sap wine if possible.

Cheers

You mean freeze distilling?

Just throw fermented product in the freezer until some ice forms, remove ice, drink concentrated liquid that's left behind

It is not distillation it is concentration as you are freezing the water so that you separate the two. I do it with apfelwine every year. After fermentation is complete I rack into 1 gal milk jugs that are put in the chest freezer for a week or two. Then I transfer it to glass jugs.

It is not distillation it is concentration as you are freezing the water so that you separate the two. I do it with apfelwine every year. After fermentation is complete I rack into 1 gal milk jugs that are put in the chest freezer for a week or two. Then I transfer it to glass jugs.

Do you let it age out after the concentration process?. If so how long do you recommend?

Do you let it age out after the concentration process?. If so how long do you recommend?

It does get better with aging. We do not drink it very often but we had some friends over on Sunday and did sample some. It was well received.

Cheers guys, is it best done with a more fruity flavoured wine/brew? What would I be left with from a gallon? Sorry for all the questions but it's the first I've heard of this process.

Back