Just got a smoker, what should I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I just got a smoker, I have never smoked anything before. What should I make? Looking for something easy.

Smoked Pork Ribs

2-4 Racks Of Ribs
1. Baby Back
2. Spare Ribs
3. Country Style
Listed In Order Of Preference

Wood Chips For Smoking
1. Cherry
2. Hickory
3. Pecan
4. Apple
Listed In Order Of Preference

Rub:
¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar
½ Cup Kosher Salt
2 ½ Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 ½ Tablespoons Ground Cumin
2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
2 Teaspoons Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder

Directions:
Trim ribs to prepare for smoking. Coat ribs on all sides with rub mixture. Place ribs in smoker at 225ºF for 3.5 to 4.5 hours, until ribs are tender.

+1 on the baby backs. They are *almost* impossible to mess up.

I like to hit mine @ about 225 - 250 for 4 to 5 hours. They are falling apart after that.

If you're wanting to do a long, slow smoke - a pork butt or two would be a great way to christen a new smoker! Cook it at 225 until internal temps hits 190, then wrap it in foil(and towels) and throw it a cooler for an hour or so. Pull it to desired consistency and hit it with whatever sauce strikes your fancy at the moment.

cheers!

I'll do the Ribs with the rub recipe. The pork butt sounds good too, I'll have that on my list to try. Thanks for the feedback!!

+1 See above.

+1 also.
I like to rub the ribs with mustard before using the dry rub. It helps the rub adhere to the meat better and you don't taste the mustard when the meat is done anyway.
I got a new offset smoker for Christmas that I'm really liking. Much better than my Bullet.

I made a whole chicken on Saturday using a brine solution that I found online. Smoked with Hickory. It was delicious!! Next time I'm making 2 or 3!!

Any man with 4 eggs better be using them all the time :D

It's tough in a drought and a burn ban, but that's over for now.

Just sauced up with some Sweet Baby Rays'

Ribs.jpg

A chub of bologna always comes out nicely. I usually throw on a few pounds of it anytime I fire up the smoker my parents love it to so I split it with them or friends.

Easy????

Nothing easier or tastier than smoked chubby!!!

Take a roll of Bob Evans original sausage.
Roll in your favorite rub.
Smoke till your internal temp is 168 degrees.

(Spray occasionally with apple juice while smoking)

Cut into slices and enjoy on a biscuit by itself or with scrambled eggs.

Once you try them - you will always find room in your smoker for them.
I GUARANTEE...!!!!

Easy????

Nothing easier or tastier than smoked chubby!!!

Take a roll of Bob Evans original sausage.
Roll in your favorite rub.
Smoke till your internal temp is 168 degrees.

(Spray occasionally with apple juice while smoking)

Cut into slices and enjoy on a biscuit by itself or with scrambled eggs.

Once you try them - you will always find room in your smoker for them.
I GUARANTEE...!!!!

Going to have to back out of this thread. My mouth is watering too much and it's too late to start to smoke something now. Must resist looking at the pictures. :mug:

Nice! Is it split up the front or just whole?

Split up in front. Although, I think the proper way of doing this is to cut out the backbone. I soaked in this Poultry Brine overnight. Very good!!

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
1 1⁄2 Gal Water
1⁄2 C Salt (kosher)
1⁄2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
2 tsp Celery Seed

I didn't have Cajun Spice so I just used 1 tsp Chili pepper and 1 tsp Cayenne pepper instead. Smoked with Hickory.

It's tough in a drought and a burn ban, but that's over for now.

Just sauced up with some Sweet Baby Rays'

Ribs.jpg

Looks delicious! I have some baby back ribs I'm going to smoke soon. Did you use any rub? When did you add the BBQ sauce? What wood did you use?

I love smoking. I did a loin today for about 2.5 hours finished it in the oven covered for a total of 4 hours. I've cooked everything from fish to apples to salt on mine. All the normal stuff too. Any questions just pm me if I don't reply back here right away.

ForumRunner_20120102_190722.jpg

Looks delicious! I have some baby back ribs I'm going to smoke soon. Did you use any rub? When did you add the BBQ sauce? What wood did you use?

I used some Williams BBQ rub and the sauce was Sweet Baby Ray's.

I do my with lump charcoal and chunks of Hickory.

Back