Cheap starter flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
I was at the store today when I spied some Martinellies (sp? too lazy to get up and check) apple juice in 1.5 liter narrow mouth glass bottles. Started thinkin'.....hmmmm. might make good starter flasks.

So I bought a couple and opened one up and lo and behold, my carboy stoppers just fit. So I'm gonna finish these off and clean the bottles and use for starter flasks. Granted, I can't just put H2O and DME in and heat in them, but I can always heat in a saucepan, cool and funnel into them.

And at 5 bucks each, a bit more affordable than a Pyrex flask.

What does others use for flasks?? I can't be the only cheap ass hillbilly on this site.

Allan

The advantage to Pyrex is its ability to be heated on the stove.

I wouldn't do that with any old glass.

Do you use a stirplate? Might have some difficulties there.

EDIT:
I just re-read your post. Pouring hot liquid can also crack glass. Make sure it is cooled first.
If you do as you posted, you should be fine.

Never used a stirplate....Dunno what it is, even. Please enlighten me, may be something that I want.......

Interesting.... I may want to build one of those someday. But, for right now, I imagine that I could just swing by every once in a while and give the bottles a little shake? May not keep 'em suspended all the time, but wake them up.....the little lazy bastards.

Allan

Ive used a 22-oz beer bottle, a peanut butter jar, a 2-gal plastic rubbermaid bucket with sealing lid, and my favorite is the 1/2-gal growler. Cant heat in any of them, and I don't use a stir plate.

I was lucky enough to come upon some surplus pyrex, I've made some starters in it, but I kinda want a hot plate before I boil stuff in it.... just for the whole 'back in chem lab' feel:cross:

Your not alone Alan. I used to make a lot of cider and I have "several" of the 1 gal and 1/2 gal jugs.

That reminds me, gotta call Louisburg and see when they are pressing again. Gotta get a few more.

I use that bottle for starters and it does work with a stir plate too. I don't use a stopper but rather cover the top with aluminum foil.

Back