Straining Traub/Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've had a batch of IPA that the kit's directions say should be ready to bottle within 4-7 days(I started it late the evening of 8/25), but still has massive amounts of foam on top. How/Should I strain/scoop this stuff off and bottle my beer? In previous batches, I waited until the foam settled to the bottom.

Your help is much appreciated!

Brandon
Aptos, CA

Wait till the krausen falls and the gravity is steady before bottling. I tend to primary at least ten days for most beers before kegging or moving to secondary.

directions in kits are notoriously incorrect. leave it in the primary 2-3 weeks. if you choose to put into a secondary, thats up to you. if you do, i would do 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, bottle condition for 3-5 weeks.

x2 on pwndabear's post. That is way too soon. When i first started brewing i was impatient and would transfer the beer in 7 days. i now leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, then keg. Give the beer time.

Back