Milling grain, help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
heya,

I got 20lbs of 2row today and the vendor did not read the commest that I wanted it milled. (yay).

so now i have to do this. I do not have a mill, and i have never done it.

how can I simply accomplish this with minimal $ and not waste these grains, or not have to buy a mill?

thanks

I'm sure you want to brew soon and this won't really help, but you should contact your supplier to see if they can send you off some milled grain

Wine bottle or heavy rolling pin... put some grain in a large ziplock bag, flatten, and crush. It won't be a great crush, but you wanted cheap. It will definitely take some time, too.

-Steve

Make sure you really score the crap out of those rollers, you really can't over-score them. The more texture they have the faster they'll pull the grain through.

How about a quick pulse on the blender? Small quantities, probably take a LONG time but it's less of a workout than the rolling pin and probably higher eff.

-OCD

i would like to see someone try to get through that 20 lbs with a rolling pin, i could already see the frustration setting in and the inevitable freak out and roller throw.

OK, Kronin never mentioned crushing all 20 lbs. at once, but did mention wanting a cheap solution without buying a mill. I'm open to better options.

-Steve

Glad to hear it.

I'm definitely glad I bought my Barley Crusher. I do wish I would have seen that thread before dropping the $ on it though.

Back