Apple Cinnamon Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pale Horse

Reaction score
So I stopped by my local grocery store and grabbed 5 gal of pasteurized apple cider. I have two packets of champagne yeast and a pound of brown sugar. I plan on boiling 2 sticks of cinnamon in a gallon of cider before adding it to the carboy to bring out the flavor. Does that make sense? or is it pointless? Then adding in a few more sticks when I rack to the secondary.

My question is, am I ready to go? Should I grab anything else before I start? I have my first cider in carboy, but used apple juice and pomegranate/cranberry juice with that one, not actual apple cider. Any comments/advice will help and will be appreciated.

OT: But, how is the apple/cranberry going? I was thinking on doing something like that also, but I found a wonderful tasting cran-peach and thought about using that.

OT: But, how is the apple/cranberry going? I was thinking on doing something like that also, but I found a wonderful tasting cran-peach and thought about using that.

It tasted amazing preferment, after I sprinkled the yeast on top it took no time to get going. I made it about a week and a half ago, and it is still going pretty strong. Like most people have said on here, the smell is pretty nasty but I am hoping the end product is worth it.:mug:

I am doing something like this. I am adding two cinnamon sticks and one whole vanilla bean as well as a few allspice berries with a little bit of ground cloves and nutmeg. Should taste DELICIO- SO!

Thanks, I won't boil it then, I'll just throw some sticks in the primary and more in the secondary.

Something you can do... boil the cinnamon sticks in water. Use an inch or so of water in a sauce pan, start it boiling, add the sticks, and let it boil hard for several minutes. You can add a little more water if it gets low too quickly...
This will pull out a lot of the cinnamon flavor, and you can just add all of it, sticks, water, and all... Not only does this pull out more cinnamon flavor, but it was boiled, and therefore less likely to carry bacteria into your fermenter...
Just a thought...

Back