Debittered Black Malt in EZ Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yso191

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting ready to brew a Baltic Porter. I use EZ Water 3.0 for water additions. I use 100% RO water if that matters.

The recipe calls for Debittered Black Malt. I am assuming that this means it will not add acidity to the mash, or at least a lot less. So how do I enter this in EZ Water? Or under what category should I add it?

Thanks, Steve

My vote is for either "Roasted/Toasted Malt" or omit it if it's a very small quantity. It may affect your pH by 0.01 if it's about 1% of your grain bill. Did a Munich Dunkel with a similar malt, the 1% Carafa Special II had almost no measureable affect on the mash pH. I even measured the mash pH without it to understand the 12L Munich malt pH that made up the other 99% of the grainbill.

debittered malt may not give you as much roast flavor, but its acid contribution is still the same a non-debittered malt.

Kai

debittered malt may not give you as much roast flavor, but its acid contribution is still the same a non-debittered malt.

Kai

Totally agree. The Dunkel I was referring to is Kai's recipe on his webpage, with decoction mashout. Nothing roasty about it.

Munich Dunkel Color.jpg

Back