Now what to do!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwa-brewing

Reaction score
Well my family loved me enough to order me a steam juicer and it's enroute!

Currently in the freezer i have about 40 pounds if Asian pears, i also have about 8 pounds of blackberries, thinking maybe a 5 gallon batch of pure pear and maybe a gallon of pear blackberry, and if i have enough a gallon of pear cherry or who knows!!! Any idea how much juice concentrate from the pears i will need per gallon of wine?

Well my family loved me enough to order me a steam juicer and it's enroute!

Currently in the freezer i have about 40 pounds if Asian pears, i also have about 8 pounds of blackberries, thinking maybe a 5 gallon batch of pure pear and maybe a gallon of pear blackberry, and if i have enough a gallon of pear cherry or who knows!!! Any idea how much juice concentrate from the pears i will need per gallon of wine?

Is your family looking to adopt?

If I were you, and you were me...I would use just straight juice. When I make my wine, I use a simple syrup and only the concentrate. If it is too stout, I adjust with either white grape juice of distilled water, depending on what type of fruit I am using. With your pears and blackberries, I would just use the juice concentrate. I am a beginner, so I make beginner mistakes. Although, I have only had one kind of wine that I deemed "undrinkable" and that was watermelon. It is aging now, and it finally cleared. It probably still tastes like crap!

MzAnnie said:
If I were you, and you were me...I would use just straight juice. When I make my wine, I use a simple syrup and only the concentrate. If it is too stout, I adjust with either white grape juice of distilled water, depending on what type of fruit I am using. With your pears and blackberries, I would just use the juice concentrate. I am a beginner, so I make beginner mistakes. Although, I have only had one kind of wine that I deemed "undrinkable" and that was watermelon. It is aging now, and it finally cleared. It probably still tastes like crap!

Yea i will be playing with my pear juice it's still a very light flavor so diluting could be very bad, though if your using raw pear i think it's like 5 plus pounds per gallon, just wondering if i should still use the steamed pears in like a strainer bag?

Thats interesting i tried a watermelon... Same thing! Did you use the melon meat? Or just juice?

It is pear season here too. I don't have a juicer but started a pear yesterday. I used 5 lb per gallon with a 1080 sg. I have no idea how it will turn out, but had to try it. It smells good fermenting so maybe it will taste good too. Was thinking of a watermelon till I read a post by Yooper that said how hard it was to make before the juice soured. Mike

Asian pear blended with blackberry, and backsweetened to taste is an absolute favorite. Quite good if you use European or American pears, but something about the Asian pear makes a difference.

Definitely do not dilute the steamed pear juice with water and do incorporate the pulp in a fine straining bag for no more than 5 days. Do not squeeze that bag. Go heavy on pectic enzyme. The body can be improved by adding 1, even 2, containers of 100% white grape juice concentrate, frozen/thawed. For topping up, consider Knudsen's pear juice in quart jars....or think about 1 can frozen concentrate for body and white grape juice for topping up if you cannot find the pear juice. But hoping you will have some juice leftover from the pears for topping up.

You typically will spend,1.5-2 hr steam juicing each batch and can anticipate 1-1.5 cups of juice per pound of fresh, ripe fruit. Since you froze them, you should be on higher end of yield. On web, search for mehu-liisa steam juicer recipe book, it provides some insight.

Yea i will be playing with my pear juice it's still a very light flavor so diluting could be very bad, though if your using raw pear i think it's like 5 plus pounds per gallon, just wondering if i should still use the steamed pears in like a strainer bag?

Thats interesting i tried a watermelon... Same thing! Did you use the melon meat? Or just juice?

I used both and let it sit for 24 hours with the sugar syrup, the strained a pitched my yeast. I made some with a pear blend (which was better than the rest) and one with elderberry that was drinkable, too, but the straight watermelon was a bust. They all had a funky smell, though. Not rotten, but more like dirty sweatsocks, wore by a teenager!

Back