Priming sugar added to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirm65

Reaction score
So, I had an absent minded moment and added my priming sugar to my fruit beer after racking it into my secondary.

My questions:
1. Do I again add priming sugar when I bottle it?
2. Should I just bottle it right now and skip the secondary, since I just added sugar?

I have been reading through the forums and it looks like ppl add sugar to their fermentation as a matter of preference and it may even increase the alcohol content (interesting side effect).

Thoughts? Advice? Will it taste like syrup?

You now need to leave it alone for a week to let the beer ferment the priming sugar. You just raised the beer's gravity by about .002 points.

Then prime with more sugar and bottle as normal.

Its fine, you haven't ruined it. Are you adding fruit to your fruit beer while its in the secondary? If yes, then you can 't skip the secondary. If no, then you can skip secondary but there's no reason to since you've already racked it. Stay the course.

The yeast will or already have eaten up your priming sugar, so you will need to add priming sugar (which can be regular table sugar) when you bottle.

And you're right, some styles do call for sugar among the fermentables in a recipe. Generally, this is to help dry out a beer. For example, a Belgian Tripel often will have sugar in the fermentables because, despite being a big beer, the style also calls for the beer to be easy drinking, have a light mouthfeel, and dry.

Thanks for the replies. Thankfully you guys are just confirming what I originally thought. I already added the fruit to the secondary because I'm making a cherry wheat beer.

Thanks again

Back