What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking my IPA and worrying about when that keg will kick. I got one more ready to go, but I really don't want to see this one drop out.

A co-worker brought in an ounce of partially dried Cascade hop cones from his garden. Totally going to use them for my next brew (probably a MO/Cascade SMaSH, since I already have a pound of Cascade pellets)

Cleaned a growler to be filled for a co-worker. He's a recently relocated home brewer who hasn't yet been able to brew since the move. Gonna share my 75 IBU SMaSH (Maris Otter and Columbus).

Aschecte said:
Dreamt of beers to come ( I know kinda lame )

No it's not. You're not alone. My wife was just telling one of my best friends how excited I start to get as brew day approaches.

This is kinda corny, but I believe it is good to do. I struck up a conversation with the cashier at Home Depot about what I intended to do with the buckets, spray bottles and brushes I was buying (brewery cleaning). She was thrilled, as her husband is also a homebrewer. She went on and on about his (brewing) equipment. Sounded like good stuff. I simply thanked her for being patient with him and his time consuming hobby. Hope she encourages him to brew this weekend. I did my part.

I plan to go home and scrub clean one of those very large, I think they call em swamp coolers, that has gotten crud all over it in the hopes I can use it for a temp contol enviroment for my mrbeer kegs.

Bleach and hazmat suit will be standing by

Just ordered up 3lbs of hops from yakimavalleyhops.com. Will be ordering more as soon as the new crop is ready later this month

Bought some fancy fruit for a saison.

lychStr1.jpg

Took a gravity reading from my Janet's Brown. Excited to see it has made it down to 1.019 and tasting great 5 days after pitching and going through an Explosive Fermentation Event. Hoping the gravity comes down a few more points.

Pitched the starter on Saturday morning before leaving leaving town for two days. Came home to a fermentation fridge crime scene. Had a 1/2 blow off hose over the orange cap, but the cap clogged, blew its top and left it uncapped for an unknown amount of time.

Some lessons learned, some lessons confirmed...

Looked at freezers. Bought a Perlick faucet. Going to build a keezer. Ohhhh! I am excited.

Hand picked half of a large rubbermaid tote of Cascade with my daughter.

ForumRunner_20120906_161323.jpg

They are very very dry, and were almost impossible to pick, but I knew I missed my window with this plant. For not being taken care of, I almost think this stuff is better than my "taken care of" cascade.

I have a glass of my Saison in front of me. It still needs some time on the gas to be properly carbonated, but it is definitely developing.

Time to swap out the ice bottles to keep it cold.

Took a gravity reading on my banana split stout. It's probably finished by now at 1.022 but it'll be sitting on the cake for at least another two weeks anyway, so if it's not finished it will be. The hydro sample tastes pretty good, but the flavors still need quite a bit of smoothing out and it's very green. The real star, though, was the aroma. Massive banana with a little chocolate. I've been soaking a couple Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans in vodka for the past week, so that solution and 4 oz of cacao nibs are going in on Saturday.

Worked on researching a new recipe idea while waiting for swmbo and my baby boy to be released from the hospital

jtd_419 said:
Worked on researching a new recipe idea while waiting for swmbo and my baby boy to be released from the hospital

Congrats and hope all are well. Give the kettle a hug...might be lonely for a while.

jtd_419 said:

Congrats!

Racked the spiced holiday ale onto 2.5 pounds of cranberries. Bottled 1 case of vanilla porter and 1 case of bourbon vanilla porter. Took some samples, for research purposes of course.

I got the parts in today to fix the stove & do a test run later. 1st PM tomorrow if all is well! Gotta clean some stuff a bit more tonight too.

Thought about converting the White House beers to AG... Then decided that I'll design my own damn beer to celebrate on Election Night.

Bought some Flying Dog just for, you know, the bottles, but they have to empty somehow. And got some bleach to sanitize my swamp cooler, fermentor bath

well lets see back to this Wed- went to LHBS, two friends called in grain bills, I picked them up and a few supply's I needed and our three pounds of fresh Cascade came in, oh and a Raspberry Chocolate Port kit for my mother in-law.Came home and 1 friend came over and we transferred 35g into secondary and cleaned up. Then Thursday went to LHBS picked up some more stuff for me and a friend. Then today went to LHBS picked up 2 gain bills for me a new 20g fermenter, also went to supply house and picked up parts and made a Hop bag holder with a 3" pvc coupling and stainless all-thread, made two one for each boil kettle. Now getting ready for a 40g brew day tomorrow. I love Brew days Fire up The popcorn machine, crank the tunes get washed up,and sanitized then let the house smell of grain and hop's.

Kegged my 100 year war IPA, and did my first attempt at harvesting the yeast....wish me luck haha.

Went to the LHBS and picked up hops, grain, and lactose for a milk stout I'm brewing Sunday along with some bottle caps and corn sugar so I can bottle up my California Common. I love beer weekends.

finally racked my belgian wit into secondary with a little more indian coriander and a quarter ounce of whole chamomile flowers.

Brewed 3bbls of Amber
Designed a Pumpkin Ale recipe to be brewed and ready for Oct.
Tested the gravity of the Rye ale.
Put in a grain order.

Bought some bottles to harvest. Picked up some tubing for bottling, and a Thermometer to watch the temps. Filled swamp cooler with water and bottles of ice. Temp at 54* atm I am going to remove some ice bottles

Transferred my Amber Ale to secondary. Cleaned primary and filled it with an Oktoberfest batch.

Amber for Golf trip at end of the month and Oktoberfest for neighbor's oktoberfest in October.

Also, tried my first crack at homemade baby back ribs while brewing...turned out great.

Very productive day.

Went to bell's and picked up 5 gallons of wort for the homebrew contest. Also went to a couple nice bottle shops and bought some Jolly pumpkin so my 2 hour drive wasn't without benefits.

Back