all-grain destroyed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakez

Reaction score
Wondering if all hope is lost. Made our second all grain batch and realized to late that our thermometer was 30 degrees off, and had some mis-guidance from our local home brew shop (said we would be able to do 10 gallons off of 12.5 lbs of grain) needless to say the gravity is only at 1.012. Lesson learned the hard way...

Already put it into primary, about ready to dump it and start over. Just thought I would see if you all had any ideas, or if I should just suck up the loss.
Thanks

Snakez you might want to delete the other thread.

That is some terrible advice from a brew shop. I don't think this is one I'd try to save but would go talk to the brewshop owner and tell him about the crappy advice you were given at his business. If he's respectable he'll refund your money spent and school his employees but if he doesn't? Me personally I'd find a new shop ASAP. To much online competition for a LHBS to be subpar.

Man that is some crappy ass advice!! how the hell were you going to do a ten gallon batch with 12.5 pounds of grain? 12 pounds is my normal grain bill for a 5.5 gallon batch. I would have a word with the owner see what he tells you.

I suppose you could re-boil the whole batch down to 5 gal, and add some late addition hops like centennial or citra to get some aroma depending on style. Was it 30 deg to high or low? If high, yea it's done. If low, you got some conversion at least. It'll be really dry, but you'd have beer.

whitehause said:
I suppose you could re-boil the whole batch down to 5 gal, and add some late addition hops like centennial or citra to get some aroma depending on style. Was it 30 deg to high or low? If high, yea it's done. If low, you got some conversion at least. It'll be really dry, but you'd have beer.

If it was 30 degrees to low, it would (most likely) be too cold for Amy starch conversion to take place. If anything, it would just break down some proteins.

Bogus! Balderdash! Crap! This didn't happen and if it did you need to spend more time reading and less time drinking.
First you say it was your second
batch. It never occurred to you that using half the grain you used last time might be a problem.
Second, how do you stand in a room thats 70F and look at a thermometer that says 100F and say to yourself ' thats just dandy'?
I'm not buying it.
If you are for real there is only one answer for you: spend $40 worth of propane to save $15 worth of grain. Common sense, right?

Bogus! Balderdash! Crap! This didn't happen and if it did you need to spend more time reading and less time drinking.
First you say it was your second
batch. It never occurred to you that using half the grain you used last time might be a problem.
Second, how do you stand in a room thats 70F and look at a thermometer that says 100F and say to yourself ' thats just dandy'?
I'm not buying it.
If you are for real there is only one answer for you: spend $40 worth of propane to save $15 worth of grain. Common sense, right?

WOW......you're kind of a D^@k.

Dude, that sucks. Sorry to say, but there isn't anything to do to salvage this batch. Just toss it and start over.

Before your next batch, download some brewing software. It's a whole lot cheaper than tossing multiple batches.

Thanks guys. We do have a propane burner (jerk), the thermometer was 30 degrees low, so mashed at 135, not 165. Well, lesson learned. I will be dumping 10 gallons, and never never going back to that brew shop, as there are plenty in our area. (And, yes I may have been stupid to think that 12 lbs of grain would work for a 10 gallon batch, but I trusted the wrong person.)

Thanks again! The next batch will be a 5 gallon with a og of 1.065! At least that's the plan!

You can make beer with 12 lbs of grain for 10 gl. It's not vogue don't talk ****! The type of beer was no mentioned.

Thanks guys. We do have a propane burner (jerk), the thermometer was 30 degrees low, so mashed at 135, not 165. Well, lesson learned. I will be dumping 10 gallons, and never never going back to that brew shop, as there are plenty in our area. (And, yes I may have been stupid to think that 12 lbs of grain would work for a 10 gallon batch, but I trusted the wrong person.)

Thanks again! The next batch will be a 5 gallon with a og of 1.065! At least that's the plan!

I don't understand why you would want to mash at 165....Makes no sense to me.

Sorry, correction h2o at 165 to mash at 157. My bad. And yes I brew because natty ice is just getting too expensive. A$$

It's not as crazy as it sounds. If you got 80% efficiency, which is what I get, you could make 10 gallons of 1.035 mild with 12 lbs of grain. You didn't get 80% efficiency, you got 30%, which is atrocious and not actually the HBS's fault. I agree that you need to do a lot more study to find out why your process is giving you such low efficiency, and go from there.

bmunos said:
Save and use as a yeast starter?

For a yeast starter you will still have to reduce it down. Till at least 1.030. But that is a good idea don't let nothing go to waste.

bmunos said:
Save and use as a yeast starter?

Why? There likely isn't any fermentable material in there. If there is, it isn't enough to really promote reproduction, only to ensure viability.

Also, consider the OP (no offense intended here). Perhaps he should better understand brewing and uses packaged yeast before he goes on to worrying about growing his yeast and what not.

Glad this thread turned around. OP is a newb and made a mistake. PassedPawn is quoted by somebody around here, for the life of me can't remember the quote. But it fits this situation pretty well.. Any help here Pappy?

Glad this thread turned around. OP is a newb and made a mistake. PassedPawn is quoted by somebody around here, for the life of me can't remember the quote. But it fits this situation pretty well.. Any help here Pappy?

Heh, I've got no idea what that would be Dan. I get nervous when someone quotes me.

Cheers, and good luck to the new guy.

So, late to the party, but I have to ask, why not just reboil and add some DME? I haven't had a problem batch come out, but I keep DME on hand just in case. Is this a bad plan? Is there something I'm not considering?

Back