Heat exchange question with keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger76s

Reaction score
I purchased the ge 7 cubic foot chest freezer (Fcm7suww) and will be converting it to a coffin keezer. I am going to cover the outside with paneling and trim. I am worried about heat exchange not taking place efficiently. The compressor is open in the back and there is a vent on the side. I plan on keeping both of these open. Do I need to setup a fan that moves air around the walls of the freezer and the paneling as well? Like Jester369 did here?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-project-31221/index3.html

7674-DollyBase.jpg

7674-DollyBaseB.jpg

Hi

The walls of the freezer get HOT when it's running. The easy thing to do is to plug it in and feel around. Where ever you feel "warm" you will need airflow. On the ones I have here one of the hot spots is the wall just above the compressor.

Since you will need fans inside the freezer as well as outside, having 12V running around is pretty much a given. I'd run several small / quiet / cheap computer fans rather than one big / expensive / noisy 110V fan.

Bob

Latest posts

Back