South Dakota Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
Hello out there. I'm just looking to see how many other brewers there are in South Dakota. Apparently there was a homebrew club out in the Rapid City area, but it disbanded a few years back. If you're in South Dakota, and interested, please PM me. Hopefully we can get enough interest going to form a halfway decent club.

Let me know, cheers! :mug:

Greetings from the other side of the river (don't worry, I'm from the hills originally!).

A friend of mine and I are looking to get a brew club started on this side of the state (Vermillion area). Best of luck to you getting something set up over there!

Hello out there. I'm just looking to see how many other brewers there are in South Dakota. Apparently there was a homebrew club out in the Rapid City area, but it disbanded a few years back. If you're in South Dakota, and interested, please PM me. Hopefully we can get enough interest going to form a halfway decent club.

Let me know, cheers! :mug:

There is a homebrew club in Rapid City called the Ale Riders. They meet once a month at Dublin Square. Their website is -http://www.aleriders.org/

I'm in pierre haven't been here too long and don't know anyone else who brews. It would be cool to get a club started here too.

Newbrew12 said:
I'm in Sioux Falls. There's. couple of us around.

There's more than a couple of you! You guys have a really good homebrew shop in Sioux Falls. I stop there every time I make it to town.

Do you know anyone that works at tailors pantry? I was just in tere the other day chatting with the guy go runs te brewing supplies?

Probably was Justin. There's another brew store on Kiwanis and Madison that crushes grain, has a full setup in back and brews on Saturdays with a few guys. Pretty neat place. Nothing extravagant but cool.

I am in the Sioux Falls area, Tea to be exact. New to homebrewing...Actually my first batch is still in the fermenter, an American Amber Ale. Can't wait till it's ready!!!

That's awesome! Glad to see the group growing here. Being from Denver it was a shock to move to such a small craft brew community. We should all get together for some brews!

Awesome. What did you brew? I'm moving to the east side of town beginning of April and converting a basement kitchen to my personal home brewery. Can't wait!

Newbrew12 said:
Awesome. What did you brew? I'm moving to the east side of town beginning of April and converting a basement kitchen to my personal home brewery. Can't wait!

Coopers Draught. I hope it's one ill like. Kit instructions are little to fast I believe. States 1week in primary than bottle. So ill be doing 1week in the primary and another in the secondary.

My taste buds are still learning. I've always been a bud light guy. My girlfriend on the other hand has the GOOD beer taste and getting me started In this. She likes almost any speciality beer. I want to do a easy wheat beer next I think, hopefully can start it in a few weeks!

I too still have my first brew in the primary. The advice I got from reading posts and asking questions on the forum, most will tell you to not even bother with a secondary for most beers. Just let it sit in primary for three weeks. Check your gravity three days before the end of the three weeks and then again at the three week point. If it remains the same, then it's ready to bottle. Rack it off into your bottling bucket with priming sugar and bottle away. Then the tough part, let it sit another two weeks in the bottles to carb up. I have one more week in the primary to wait, an american amber ale. I'm sure I will have to taste one before it's truly ready.

Ya I wouldn't even touch if for 2-3 weeks. I used to be secondary crazy and now I just leave it alone in primary for however long I need. I just left a brown ale in primary for two months because I was lazy and didn't have time to bottle. Only reason I secondary is adding something like fruit. This one I even dry hopped right in the primary and turned out great. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert AT ALL but every batch I've tried to secondary has been worse than anything I've left alone. I figure it's basically like leaving it in the bottles for longer except the yeast isn't eating sugars and carving something...

I wish my wife was like that! I think you have the best scenario around! SWMBO that wants craft brew and you just learning to love it?! How did you get so lucky?!?

I am not sure! Haha. I am now starting to catch on and realize there is actually taste in beer besides water. I've gone out of my comfort zone with Fat Tire and Shock Top Shandys. Getting there! Not going to lie, started drinking them because I need pop top bottles for bottling, lol.

I've read the same thing on secondary's just use the sprocket for bottling.

My next batch I think ill so a wheat coopers kit with some DME and corn sugar mix. Keep it as simple and possible on these first couple. The first one ill be happy if it comes out drinkable.

Last weekend I was at Shenanigans, little drunk and not thinking I grabbed her a bud light.....whoops.

You should check out craigtube on YouTube he has tons of good videos on brewing for beginners and advanced brewers.

If you need bottles I have a bunch. We just bought our house and are moving first week in April and have a kitchen I get to convert to a brewery. I'm only bringing a a couple of cases of bottles and you're welcome to the rest. Maybe a case of 24 or more possibly. I don't have an exact count. All delabeled already and everything just let me know.

If you need bottles I have a bunch. We just bought our house and are moving first week in April and have a kitchen I get to convert to a brewery. I'm only bringing a a couple of cases of bottles and you're welcome to the rest. Maybe a case of 24 or more possibly. I don't have an exact count. All delabeled already and everything just let me know.

If you are lookin to offload some bottles I would sure take em if no one else wants em. I have a batch of hard lemonade going too and was probably going to end up bottling in pop bottles cause I was outta glass.

Darn to late to call dibs on the glasses! Oh well, I still got at least a week before bottling.

Five days in my coopers extract. Bubbling is very slow. Decided it was time to take a reading to see where it was at. Hope I am reading it right but .020. Right where it says finish on beer in the green. Kit says fermentation lass 5-7days. Ill take another reading on Sunday than let it sit for another week before bottling and conditioning. It looks like the krausen and bubbles have already resided.

Couldn't help it but try a sip. And I can taste what is beer! Now I am excited for no infection, now just give it a few more weeks and ill be able to have a cold one.

image-2070809062.jpg

Sorry Meehan, I beat ya to it. Thank you Adam for all the bottles. I assure you they will all be put to good use. Also, thanks for the sample of your brew, drank it as soon as I got home. It was great, definitely see a Nut Brown in my brewing future.

No problem. Rather see them go to a homebrewer than the landfill. Glad you liked it. Still a little young but really one of my favorites. I love brown ales. That one came out a little toastier than I anticipated but I really like it still.

Day 7 bottling.

Not going to lie, doesn't taste the greatest. I hope conditioning will bring out the flavor. Will know in a couple weeks!

image-1816944989.jpg

Was it done fermenting? What do you mean by doesnt taste great? Anything in particular or just not great? Very few styles are great young and I know I haven't had anything I'd deam good after 7 days. What style was it again?

Newbrew12 said:
Was it done fermenting? What do you mean by doesnt taste great? Anything in particular or just not great? Very few styles are great young and I know I haven't had anything I'd deam good after 7 days. What style was it again?

Coopers Draught. I forgot the reading but across days 5-7 it measured the same. Which told me it was done fermenting. I racked into the bottling bucket and bottled with coopers carb drops.

Now it's sitting in the bottles at 70 degrees for a couple weeks and ill try it again.

As far as the taste, it wasn't bad. Just flat and blah. I am guessing a typical light beer that has t aged or carbed yet.

Ah ok. Well I suppose if the readings were where they were supposed to be and stayed the same you won't make bottle bombs at least haha. That yeast continues to eat other "things" in the beer other than sugar as time goes on. These "things" are what attribute to some off favors and the "green" flavor of young beers. Also, the lighter the beer the easier it is to perceive any off flavors. Basically where I'm going is it will probably come out carbed in a few days but that bleh taste may stick around. Most beer, assuming its not contaminated will clean up and be much better with age. That's why they say the best homebrew is always the last homebrew!

I tried it a week ago and the Initial taste was good, but a strong almost sour like aftertaste. What I suppose you would call a green beer it has say for another week now and I put another in the fridge last night and will try again.

Ill report as soon as I find out :)

Back