BIAB Bag Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_lohmann

Reaction score
I'm about to make a bag for brewing in a bag in my keggle, but am unsure on how large to make it.

I've seen that the top circumference should be 15% larger than the kettle. Should I use the circumference of the keg or should I use the circumference of the hole? I'm afraid that the bag might get stuck if I use the keg circumference, but think I also don't want to make the bag too small. The diameter of the keg is 15" and the hole is 11".

Please advise.

It's not a big deal if it's too large (Unless we're talking ridiculously large). I'd use the circumference of the Keg since that will make it larger.

Nothing set in stone but a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to fit your brew kettle inside of it.

I'll go with using the keg circumference and assume the wet grains will be squishable enough that they won't get stuck under the lip.

I have seen a design somewhere online where the bag is tapered inward a couple of inches towards the bottom . That way you get a cone type shape when you pull the bag rather than a wider two corner bottom.

Latest posts

Back