First time using Yeast dump from conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2funkids

Reaction score
Hi all, I have my first yeast dump that is in a mason jar and the yeast is about 1" thick in the canning Jar. It is 3 months old today and it has been in the refrigerator. It smells nice. So, I want to make a Starter for this weekend but I am afraid of using it for fear that it will mess up 10g of brew. How can I safely make a stepped up 1 liter to 3 liter starter with this or should I start again from a new vial? Do you all think it has been too long? I have the basics of making the starter but if it is viable enough to use, do I use all of it in the first step or can I go right up to a 3 liter without a step due to the amount of yeast I have (full 4 oz of slurry in the Jar).

I think you should be fine just going direct to 3L with the amount you have. It might depend somewhat on the particular strain, but really, you should be fine.

So what I am hearing is that the risk of using the 3 month old Yeast is worth saving the $7 vs. using a new vial. I am going with it because I would like to start using my old yeast. I had a concern because I had used the yeast washing technique on a batch of yeast a couple of years ago only to find out it was all dead when I tried using one of the jars for a starter...
I am brewing Saturday so I will start the one liter tomorrow and check the gravity to make sure it is doing the trick.

So what I am hearing is that the risk of using the 3 month old Yeast is worth saving the $7 vs. using a new vial. I am going with it because I would like to start using my old yeast. I had a concern because I had used the yeast washing technique on a batch of yeast a couple of years ago only to find out it was all dead when I tried using one of the jars for a starter...
I am brewing Saturday so I will start the one liter tomorrow and check the gravity to make sure it is doing the trick.

I have never thought to check SG of my starters. It's always been quite visible if they were working or not, and it just seems like a way to add an infection.

You have a good amount of yeast there even if it is only 25% viable. I don't think the 1L starter step is necessary, but would still recommend it. Also starting with a smaller starter is good just so you don't toss much DME if it is all dead.

Back