Flooding in VT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Talk radio hosts are saying the storm was all hyped up.

I disagree. This video is from a town 15 mins from us..we just got our power back (and we are all fine, just some water in basement and warm beer)

so much for the tropical storm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you guys are doing ok... I'm over here in Saratoga, NY and we survived pretty well. It really was lighter here. But South of us near Schenectady and Schoharie are still flooded. The water is what did us in... not the actual storm itself.

I feel blessed compared to others...one of my daughter's HS classmates lost their house on Sunday, and it was his birthday...

We lost power and had a flooded basement .. big deal - right ? Glad you are well in Saratoga (which I still want to visit - wife is big into horses)

Glad to hear you're OK. Flooded basement here. The damage in the state is incredible and will take a long time to repair (some of it can't be).

Funny story though, my basement was flooding with the overwhelmed sewage system. What do you think I saved first??? Brew stuff! Then holiday decorations, tools, etc.

Well Thursday would be a good day to visit. Saratoga ThrouroughBrew's meeting at the Saratoga Brewery. You could see the horses and try some Homebrew!

Glad to hear you're OK. Flooded basement here. The damage in the state is incredible and will take a long time to repair (some of it can't be).

Funny story though, my basement was flooding with the overwhelmed sewage system. What do you think I saved first??? Brew stuff! Then holiday decorations, tools, etc.

Hey - first things first!

Why don't you and Reaver come to my homebrew gathering Oct 9th .. weather permitting...

It is incredible to see this kind of destruction first hand. Never seen anything close to it. I have friends that are getting supplies by helicopter because they can't be reached by the roads. Some tough woodchucks up here though, we will make it through.

I know what you say - our hearts go out to them...Going to look up the local Red Cross chapter

That was a strange storm. I live in Northampton MA and the eye basically passed right over me. I never lost power, in fact I brewed that day once it seemed like it had past. There was some minor flooding near rivers, but nothing major.
But just up in Greenfield there was major flooding. 91 is still shut down for some parts. I can't believe what happened in Brattoburo, and other places seem to have been hit worse.

Glad to hear you're OK, Bill.

Lot of roads washed out around here, but no one got hurt. Most everything is re-opened. although Route 2 going over to Greenfield is pretty much ****ed (will be closed for a couple months).

We had absolutely no damage at the house (must have done SOMETHING right in my life).

Saw this video from Bennington:

... and seeing this has to make you sad.

Sounds like Glibbidy's fine, too. Bratt got hit pretty damn hard.

Would have gladly taken (maybe a little less than "gladly" ;-) ) that storm off your hands. You guys did endure that surprise earthquake and all. The local weather (South Florida) had us prepared to get a Cat 4.
Glad to hear that everyone was safe!!
Sarah.

This was in Essex Jct. VT

winooski.jpg

The storm wasn't considered anything more than hype because it didn't damage NY and that's all the media thinks about.

I would like to remind readers that there is more to NY than New York City. I believe that is what ChshreCat's comment is directed towards. And I agree... if it doesn't affect NYC it doesn't matter to the media OR politicians. Well it sure as hell affected NY! I'm happy to have not been a part of it... but there is some serious problems in the Capital region of NY. Vermont is going to be affected longer and deeper. They are a smaller state, and have more infrastructure damage. This was a serious storm.

Watching the weather most predictions were saying that it would be Boston and East of it that would get the worst. Western part of the state should only need to worry about tornadoes and a bit of rain.

But then again, it was patchy. Areas around Walpole, MA got nailed badly. A few towns over...not so much. Up on the North Shore where I live it was assumed we were going to get nailed nine ways to Sunday. We all expected the worst.

That storm just took a hard left and bore down on VT pretty hard. I can only recall seeing one prediction that showed VT getting it.

Good luck everyone with cleanup. Hopefully everyone is safe. After going through Katrina I know how it feels. My sister lives in Chesapeake, VA on the water and I was really worried.

Yes, we sustained an incredible amount of infrastructure damage. Myself, I was high and dry, but there was flood damage all around my town. The part that is bothering me right now is how the media is making it sound like we are a bunch of idiots with uninsured houses on flood plains, sitting on our asses waiting for a government handout to "save" us. In reality, the whole state, including state workers, national guard, and utility crews, as well as thousands of regular joe volunteers have banded together to try to restore the infrastructure, reach the towns that have been cut off, and help those who were devastated:
http://vtresponse.wordpress.com/

Yes, we sustained an incredible amount of infrastructure damage. Myself, I was high and dry, but there was flood damage all around my town. The part that is bothering me right now is how the media is making it sound like we are a bunch of idiots with uninsured houses on flood plains, sitting on our asses waiting for a government handout to "save" us. In reality, the whole state, including state workers, national guard, and utility crews, as well as thousands of regular joe volunteers have banded together to try to restore the infrastructure, reach the towns that have been cut off, and help those who were devastated:

While I don't have TV and haven't seen the media coverage, that is what is expected of people. It is hard for people around the country to believe that the people around here are independent enough to do much of the work themselves with the help of neighbors, not the government.
A friend of ours, a teacher had a house almost totally destroyed. 25 people, teachers and students went up today to help her clean up. I have heard more stories in the past few days of neighbors helping neighbors than of the government stepping in. I think Yankee determination will help to get things fixed quickly. If you are in the area and are unaffected, do something. Cook a meal, lend a hand, ask who needs help. Nothing feels better than helping those that are hurting.

I am glad you are ok - and what a great idea about the VTresponse website...saw the facebook page as well...I am still getting perspective on the scale of the damage, and it is simply staggering.

Glad to hear you're OK, Bill.

Sounds like Glibbidy's fine, too. Bratt got hit pretty damn hard.

Good to hear you made it out OK -- the highway thing has me driving an extra 10 mins into Bratt, but it cld be so much worse..a classmate of my daughter's lost his house on Sunday in Wardsboro..washed away...it is just beginning to sink in...Dean made post on FB..Bratt in better shape than I thought (but Flat Street pub we went to a few years back was slammed)

My parents live in Danby, and they can't go anywhere because route seven is totally flooded out

My car was flooded and totaled by the Passaic river, we've evacuated and been out of our apartment since Monday and worst of all my shipment from AHS stranded at the UPS warehouse.

So NO, NOT OVER HYPED. :(

Bratt in better shape than I thought (but Flat Street pub we went to a few years back was slammed)

It was mostly West Bratt, and Flat Street. The farmer's market got washed away. They are having a "clean up" party there tomorrow for anyone that can make it.

We were spending a few days visiting my old home in CT when Irene hit. I feel we were some of the lucky ones since we were without power and hot water for ONLY 36-hours. Many others in surrounding towns were being told they will be without power until some time next week. Driving around was challenging and eye-opening. Trees snapped in two, downed power lines, and other damage everywhere you look.

I think the talking heads on the radio who say this was no big deal need to shut up.

Back