Favorite Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
I was kind of surprised that I couldn't find a thread like this when I did a search. If you're like me, when you're traveling to a new place for work or pleasure, the first thing you think about is, "where am I going to get a good beer". I figure we can get a good list of great bars on here for a "one stop shop" on "where can I find a good beer in (insert city here)"

I'll start, my favorite bar is in Baton Rouge, La. The Chimes, right outside northgate of LSU. HUGE beer selection, great atmosphere and delicious Cajun food. I stop here every time I'm back in the BR.

Swamp Fox in Savannah Ga from Moon River Brewery. Best IPA ever and great food to go with it. Savannah is a great town for music and there is a bar and a church on every corner!

Monk's in Philly.

One of the best bars in the ou try for beer lovers. They don't even sell BMC. Mostly Belgians but a lot of good craft brews also.

I had a few Pliny the Elders there last night with my dinner.

Canal Street Pub in Reading, PA. No BMC available, same thing with the Craft Ale House in Limerick, PA.

The Trappist, Oakland Ca. Lots of good rare beers, very knowledgeable and friendly staff and great food.

The Keg & Barrel in Hattiesburg, MS ... A wall full of great beers on tap, and good food to boot!

njschmidt said:
The Keg & Barrel in Hattiesburg, MS ... A wall full of great beers on tap, and good food to boot!

Couple that with a prebar dinner at miss leatha's, and you would have a perfect evening. He'll couple anything with miss leatha's, and you won't go wrong.

Lots in Portland that I could choose, but two favorites:

The Green Dragon
Concordia Ale House

High Street is a great place. I have not been there in a long time. I may just have to make a trip over there soon.

High Street is a great place. I have not been there in a long time. I may just have to make a trip over there soon.

I'm partial to it. But that is because I live half a block away. I can go there drink as much as I want and walk home. Most of the time I go for 2 or 3 and end up drinking more because the bar tender will give me one then John (owner/chef) will give me one. Then I feel like they gave me free beer I should pay for some more. At this point I am glad I can walk home.

Carey's in Vermillion, SD.

Not so much for the beer. But the memories :)

Also, Upstream Brewing Co. in Omaha, NE. They brew some damn good beer there and I've never been anything less than impressed with their food.

The Brickskellar,Washington DC..Unbelievable selection.It is actually in the Guinnes Book Of World Records as having the largest selection,which I believe is over 1800 beers.To top it all off,there are hotel rooms on the top floor!!!:rockin:

for northeastern MN or northwestern WI I like Thirsty Pagan. Awesome brewpub with amazing pizza. It's also my favorite place to go out currently. If I don't feel like crossing the bridge to go to WI i stay in Duluth and go to Fitger's Brewhouse. Pretty good burgers and always an interesting beer menu from their brewers. I just had their Wildfire beer. Made with chilis. Pretty awesome.

Cleveland OH area
west side - The Brew Kettle - is a bop,brewery, bar and restaurant. Their house beers are some of the best I've ever tasted and they're starting to hit store shelves around here. over 40 craft and house brews on tap. Awesome food, the bbq spaghetti is amazing.

down town - Great Lakes Brewery - the name speaks for itself

east side - Willoughby Brewing Company - not a bop but a brewery, bar and restaurant. very large selection of craft and house brews. their house IPA is delicious. Excellent food and sometimes live entertainment with some pretty good local bands

Naja's place on the international boardwalk in Redondo Beach...
A wall full of beer on tap, great atmosphere on a sunny summer day.....

But really, my favorite bar is the one in my rec room.. They serve my homebrew there...:cross:
:mug:

Cleveland OH area

east side - Willoughby Brewing Company - not a bop but a brewery, bar and restaurant. very large selection of craft and house brews. their house IPA is delicious. Excellent food and sometimes live entertainment with some pretty good local bands

Boooo on Willoughby Brewing Co. They fired my friend and head brewer to promote his assistant brewer since he is friends with the new owner. I used to exclusively stock my kegerator with their beer but now I won't step foot in that place. thats why I started brewing my own. Ive been to Chardon Brew works and it wasn't bad, Fat Heads is always good and its close to my work and I really want to go to brew kettle.

Boooo on Willoughby Brewing Co. They fired my friend and head brewer to promote his assistant brewer since he is friends with the new owner. I used to exclusively stock my kegerator with their beer but now I won't step foot in that place. thats why I started brewing my own. Ive been to Chardon Brew works and it wasn't bad, Fat Heads is always good and its close to my work and I really want to go to brew kettle.

didn't know that about WBC, but I still like the beer and food. I live right outside of Chardon and been to Chardon brew works only once. worst beer I've ever tasted. check out the brew kettle, you won't be disappointed. where's fatheads at? I wouldn't mind checking that out

didn't know that about WBC, but I still like the beer and food. I live right outside of Chardon and been to Chardon brew works only once. worst beer I've ever tasted. check out the brew kettle, you won't be disappointed. where's fatheads at? I wouldn't mind checking that out

I live in eastlake, Have you tried Celler Rats brewery yet in Madison? Like I said the Chardon brew works beer wasn't bad but I really like their food.

Fatheads in in North olmstead, huge selection of their own beers on tap and a bunch of others. Fatheads food is amazing, haven't had a bad meal there yet and of all the beers I tried only one I didn't like.

http://fatheadscleveland.com/

I live in eastlake, Have you tried Celler Rats brewery yet in Madison? Like I said the Chardon brew works beer wasn't bad but I really like their food.

Fatheads in in North olmstead, huge selection of their own beers on tap and a bunch of others. Fatheads food is amazing, haven't had a bad meal there yet and of all the beers I tried only one I didn't like.

http://fatheadscleveland.com/

I'm in Chesterland, I'll have to look into celler rats and thanks for the fatheads link. two new places I haven't tried yet :mug:

The Blue Monk in Buffalo ,NY. Opened less than a year ago and it's awesome. Great tap and bottle list specializing in Belgians and great food too.

The Old Toad in Rochester, NY is the best bar I've ever been to before. They have a great list that rotates quickly, and they even have at any point in time 2 or 3 CAMRA beers served on a beer engine. Great stuff. If you are looking for a store with a great selection, I haven't seen better then Beers of the World in Rochester.

Here in Manchester, CT, I haven't found a really great bar yet. My friends and I go to Catsup and Mustard, which has good food and a decent atmosphere. Beer selection isn't the best, though.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin:
Palm Tavern and Sugar Maple. Incredible selection of awesome craft beers (60 taps at Sugar Maple) and kick-ass bartenders who know everything about what they're serving.

Also, Cafe Hollander/Cafe Centraal for European beers, and Comet Cafe and Attebury Pub for good pub food to go with your good beers.

The Bier Stein in Eugene, OR. Lucky to have a great bar in town with over 1200 bottles and above average grub.

The Blind Pig Co. on Walnut St. and its sister establishment, the Blind Pig Brewery a street West on Neil St. set the standard for Champaign-Urbana IL, where there's a great beer selection and in the past year, local beers. We're due to have a second local brewery, in the form of a brewpub being opened by Destihl, a well-established outfit in Bloomington-Normal IL.

The Old Toad in Rochester, NY is the best bar I've ever been to before. They have a great list that rotates quickly, and they even have at any point in time 2 or 3 CAMRA beers served on a beer engine. Great stuff. If you are looking for a store with a great selection, I haven't seen better then Beers of the World in Rochester.

Here in Manchester, CT, I haven't found a really great bar yet. My friends and I go to Catsup and Mustard, which has good food and a decent atmosphere. Beer selection isn't the best, though.

+1 for Beers of the World. I'm heading to the Roc next week and I'll be sure to check out The Old Toad. Thx!

In Tallahassee, FL: The Fermentation Lounge is a really cool, beer-focused hangout. Plenty of Belgians, English, and craft brews. Has a retro, couch and sofa vibe.

In Indy: Either of the Chatham Taps (Fishers or Dtown Indy) are nice. Typical English fare, good selection of craft and micros. MacNivens is a Scottish pub that has a pretty large selection. The only bad thing is that the bar area is smoking.

PS: Indy needs a place like the Fermentation Lounge!

San Diego, CA for my favorite bars:

The High Dive, selection isn't huge, but with 20 taps almost all craft it's great, very friendly, knowledgable, and some rare finds.

O'briens American Pub, is awesome, home brewing competitions, cask nights, and only crafts on tap. A favorite of some local brewers. 2nd best onion rings ever.

Lastly, Stone Brewery, little far from where I live but with ~144 beer choices and a delicious food menu, my favorite. Bring SWMBO here and you will not be displeased, extremely knowledgable staff and an amazing garden. A must if your on the area.

Edit: Stone brewery had my favorite onion rings, Arrogant Bastard Onion Rings

Pittsburgh:
In town - Sharp Edge
North - Mad Mex
East - Rivertown Tavern, or Houghs
Southside - Fat Heads
South Hills - Pittsburgh Bottleshop Cafe

In Tallahassee, FL: The Fermentation Lounge is a really cool, beer-focused hangout. Plenty of Belgians, English, and craft brews. Has a retro, couch and sofa vibe.

PS: Indy needs a place like the Fermentation Lounge!

+1 for Fermentation Lounge!

Back