Booze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
What kinda booze do you like?

I'm partial to souther comfort....not really loyal to anything else though.

What kind of booze do you guys like? Think this might be interesting, especially since I'm getting a second job at a liquor store for the summer

as always

apprechiate it

Greenhornet: If you like southern comfort.....try this:
gets some 12 oz Rolling rock and take about two good swigs out of it. Then fill the bottle back up with 100 proof so-co (about a shot or two). Drink and enjoy.

Im a whiskey and scotch guy. My fav. are Makers Mark, Jack single barrel, knob creak, Glenlivit. Put in a glass no ice and a little bit of water.

knob creek is the only one of those I've had ryan but it was pretty tasty...I'll have to give the others a shot

I had some evan williams tonight..pretty good

I'm not a big rolling rock fan yeast infection (my gf is though) plus I've only had the 80 proof soco

I'll give that a shot some night though

greenhornet said:
I'm partial to souther comfort....not really loyal to anything else though.

Been over ten years since I drank that!

If I know that I will hve the house to myself ALL night until the morning then single malt it is. Macallums, Laigphroig, basically anything with strong tastes.

Other drinks would involve Vodka but I have been on the beers specifically for a couple of years now, keeps me vertical longer (no cheesehood, not that vertical)

I go in phases, but Citadelle Gin is my go-to for martinis now, used to prefer Bombay Sapphire but I like the Citadelle better, and it's less $$ to boot (going up lately, though). This is my most common liquor to drink, but not for the last few months.

When I'm not having gin martinis (so the last few months), I vary between Jim Beam Black and Evan Williams bourbons - usually on rocks, sometimes add a splash of H2O.

I mix it up w/ Scotches - when out I usually order Dewars, at home I drink Cutty Sark and dip into Laphroig and Dalmore on occasion, I like the Glenlivet 12, too.

I drink Bushmills when I drink Irish whiskey. I want to try more Irish whiskeys this year.

Rarely drink vodka, but I find that Taaka Platinum (in the blue bottle) is a fantastic off-brand that we have found we prefer over much much loftier names (did our own blind tastings) - the kind of vodka that's a great "well" vodka for the house when mixing Bloody Marys, vodka cranberrys and the like, but also tastes great on rocks or in vodka martinis. This will impress even vodka snobs. I do want to try Cold River vodka, though, it's a potato vodka from Maine I've been hearing about.

I used to be a big time Southern Comfort drinker, when I was 21 ish. Half pints for fishing trips (5 AM drinking!), shots before nights out, concerts, bonfires, etc. Good solid go-to drink, I still order one occasionally when out. SWMBO hates it, though, but I usually keep the 100 proof in stock, sometimes also the 87.

LouT said:
I want to try more Irish whiskeys this year.

me too. this was actually one of my new years resolutions....

thanks for the names...I'll keep my eye out. I'm turning in my app for the liquor store on thursday...should be kinda fun to see what kind of people buy what....like a psychology experiment or something

esp that name of the "well" vodka...sounds pretty cool. My gf gave me a bar for christmas and I've been keeping it stocked with some basic things but it's cool being able to find what we really like. right now we've got polar vodka and think it's pretty clean

I am a vodka collins drinker.... but I love some Crown and Ginger ale. When I want a "nice" stiff drink, 7 and ginger ale with 2 limes!!

Scotch, scotchy, scotch, I love scotch...

Johnnie Black when I'm going cheap, Macallan and glenmorangie when I'm splurging. Always drink it neat

I bought a bottle of Johnnie Blue Label when the Red Sox won the world series, that stuff was great but ridiculously expensive($185/750ml) it lasted me 2 years...

Gin's the thing! My cat is actually named Gin. Martini's are my all-time favorite drink, preferably Citadelle, extra-dry, neat with a twist. Sometimes I'll just have gin on the rocks (which gets me more than a few strange looks from bartenders for some reason), in which case I prefer Miller's Westbourne Strength but usually have to settle for Sapphire.

I'm also a big fan of Bourbon on the rocks, I'm going through a Booker's phase right now. I find Bourbon and dark chocolate make for a particularly enjoyable before bed treat.

And last, but not least, Scotch neat. My personal favorite is Cragganmo

Personally, I never saw the appeal of Southern Comfort, but it's been awhile since I've had it, so maybe I should give it another shot (Get it? Another shot! :D ). I can't stand Tequila in anything other than Margaritas and I just don't see the point in Vodka.

Scotch - The Macallan 18
Bourbon - Knob Creek

I really haven't had a Single Malt Scotch or Small Batch Bourbon that I don't like. The above are just my favorites.

Call me a hillbilly, cause I am. I really like Evan Williams bourbon and Pendleton blended Canadian.

Tullamore Dew for Irish Whiskey. Will never drink Jameson again. I'm going to try The Knot soon as I hear very good things. As vodka's go Chopin is the best I've had. Belvedere and Rehorst (small name) rounds out my top three. I work at a liquor store and learned that there are so many opinions out there that it's almost impossible to find one that everyone will like.

I beleive that Irish Whiskey is suppose to be on the sweetish side since it's made with malt as copared to corn and such and Jameson isn't that at all. It's actually on the tart side. No bad experiences but not my cup of tea.

I've purchased bottles of Bushmills (repeatedly), Jameson's (once), Tullamore Dew (couple of times), but looking to try some others. I've heard that there are really only about 3 distilleries that make all the brands, and a few of them are "secret" as far as which distillery makes/labels the brand. Just looking for some variety, may consider changing up my pick for the house Irish whiskey, although I'm not dissatisfied with Bushmills, and the price is fair (as is Tullamore Dew). I've also heard there are "Catholic" vs. "Protestant" Irish Whiskey's not sure to what extent this is correct...

LouT said:
I've also heard there are "Catholic" vs. "Protestant" Irish Whiskey's not sure to what extent this is correct...

Bushmill's is Protestant whiskey since it's made in Northern Ireland. Most of the rest is Catholic but not all. RedBreast is another that I want to try but the price is a little high.

Best Vodka-- Ketel One

Best Bourbon--Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark

Best Gin-- Tangueray

LouT said:
I've purchased bottles of Bushmills (repeatedly), Jameson's (once), Tullamore Dew (couple of times), but looking to try some others. I've heard that there are really only about 3 distilleries that make all the brands, and a few of them are "secret" as far as which distillery makes/labels the brand. Just looking for some variety, may consider changing up my pick for the house Irish whiskey, although I'm not dissatisfied with Bushmills, and the price is fair (as is Tullamore Dew). I've also heard there are "Catholic" vs. "Protestant" Irish Whiskey's not sure to what extent this is correct...

Currently, Ireland has three functioning distilleries: Bushmills in Northern Ireland, Midleton in County Cork (Republic of Ireland) and Cooley, also in the Republic of Ireland.

Bushmills produces: the malt part of (shock, gasp) Bushmills. Their range is two blends (Original and Black Bush) and three malt whiskeys (10, 16, and 21 year olds).

Midleton produces: Jameson, Powers, Tullamore Dew, Redbreast, Midleton Very Rare, Paddy, and the grain part of Bushmills blends.

Cooley produces: four blends (Inishowen (peated), Kilbeggan, Locke's, and Millar's); two single malts (Connemara (peated) and Tyrconnell); and one single grain (Greenore).

If you're looking to try new Irish whiskeys, I would suggest trying Redbreast and Connemara.

Thanks, Flowerysong. That's exactly the kind of post I was hoping to see. I will seek out Redbreast and Connemara, hopefully they aren't too hard to find -- I do live near Boston so I would expect a good selection of Irish whiskeys to be available around here! Most of the smaller package stores just have Bushmills and Jamesons -- once in a while I can find Tullamore Dew, but a trip into Boston should be succesful.

Back