New Car Environmental Package

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a Ford Transit Connect earlier this week. When we went to pick it up I noticed a $489 charge for an Environmental Package added to the buyers order that we hadn’t discussed. Apparently it’s some kind of paint and interior protection. When I told the finance guy I didn’t want it, the sales guy (who was new to car sales) said that they hadn’t done the treatment. So, they were going to send me home being charged for something that wasn’t even done and I didn’t ask for.

Is this some kind of scam where they know that the factory protection will last longer than the add-on package, so you’ll never make a claim? And if there is a rare case where someone does make a claim, they make the repair and still come out way ahead?

Any car salesmen on HBT or someone with experience?

Got the van for $1000 under factory invoice. Good, not so good?

It wouldnt surprise me if this was just a wax job. They were trying to rip you off. Go elsewhere. By the way, nice choice. Those are interesting little vehicles.

Did more research after my original post and have to agree. It's a wax job with a 5 year rust warranty. Too late to go elsewhere, but I won’t be going back to that dealer for service. Sure glad I spotted it before it was too late to have it taken off the contract.

My 10 year old F-150 4X4 was needing more repairs than it was worth, so it was time for something new. Had a cap on the pick-up, and used it mostly for deliveries. This little thing has just as much cargo space and gets twice the gas mileage.

More money for brew supplies!
:tank:

I am willing to bet hundred to thousands of dollars get raped out of car buyers every month for this very same thing. People get too wrapped up and neglect to challenge or inquire about stacked fees.

Bravo to you for keeping your eyes sharp and standing your ground.

I have been there before too. Was being charged for an aftermarket undercoating that never got ordered on a vehicle that was delivered with nothing aftermarket applied.

It sounds a lot like the window VIN etching that they add to the contract (actually it's preprinted to look very official). It's usually $400 and it's all gravy. Both times I bought new, I had it taken off the contract.

I was going to give them a hard time about the etching, but had already been doing my best to beat them down. It was $250, but it takes about $60 off my insurance every year, so I figure it's a wash.

They try so hard to get you to sign everything and take possession of the vehicle right on the spot. You're signing 50 different things and it's dizzying. They weren't happy that I wanted to go home, look everything over and come back later. The next day we finalized the deal with a new contract at $1600 less than the original one. Makes me wonder how many people get taken advantage of.

edit
Makes me wonder what I missed. :eek:

It wouldnt surprise me if this was just a wax job. They were trying to rip you off. Go elsewhere. By the way, nice choice. Those are interesting little vehicles.

I think I'd said, "So you were going to send me home charged $500 for something you didn't do? Nevermind, I'm not buying a car from that kind of crook." Then walk away.

. . . Then walk away.
The trouble is, I don't think it's any different anywhere else. It's all a game to them. Get what ever that customer will bear. In the end, they're happy they sold a car and I don't think I would have found a vehicle with those options for that price if I hadn't taken that one.

(yeah, I'm trying to defend a decision that is too late to change)

I work at a dealership as a tech (been working for dealerships on and off since 1990 or 91) It makes me sick to see the crap they charge customers for. I currently work for KIA, all the new cars are shipped with floor mats, they are included with the car, the sales staff remove the mats from the new cars and sell them back as an upgrade or "throw them in for free" to sweeten the deal, I have seen them add money to the sticker price for tinted windows, the glass itself is tinted, it isn't an add-on option, its how it comes from the factory!! there is no choice there!

When I buy a car I almost make the finance guy cry by making them remove all the bulls*it add-ons, things that are included but they try to add on, and I don't pay any doc fees, I am buying a car, not fluff.

My first car purchase was just after I successfully wrecked my credit by being a dumb ass kid, they ran my credit, and had me set up to pay really high interest because of the risk, I talked them waaay down, (which they were fine with because they were going to make it up on the back end of the loan and with add ons.) I then told them I was paying cash for the car and wouldn't be financing anything. that resulted in the salesman and the sales manager getting fired over the money they lost on that deal. and I worked at that dealership! oddly I didn't make many friends while I worked there. :D

Back