Smallest keg with corny fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have recently been doing nuthing but kegging my beers. This is great but presents a problem every now and then when I go to a party or dinner and wish to sip in style. Ive read through the "we dont need no stinkin beer gun" post but was wondering if there was an easier way. I wouldn't really do it if I had to chill bottles, fill, purge, fill, purge, and then cap and clean the hose ect...

I was hoping that there may be some type of 1 or 2 liter mini keg with cornelious fittings. That way I could jump the beer from my main 5 gallon keg into a mini 1 or 2 liter keg for mobile debochory. I understand the likelyhood of this being rather low but was wondering if anyone knew of any or anthoer way to move small amounts of beer. I have a growler with a swing top but figured the beer would be flat by the time I arived at my destination and started drinking.

-Thanks,
Dustin Hickey

Growlers work fine for a day or two. I've never seen anything smaller than a 4L cornie-type keg and those are both rare and expensive. The two tricks for filling growlers are: chill the growler and use a short hose so you fill the growler from the bottom.

1 gallon cornies exist. But cost about 5 times that of a used 5 gallon.

Why not look into flip-top bottles for the rare excursions?

I use empty 2 liter bottles to take to parties.. filled straight from the taps on my kegerator. While it doesn't exactly scream 'classy', it works just fine.

Thanks guys, so you think if I use 1 or 2 liter flip tops / growlers with a hose for filling It will stay carbonated? I don't travel too far so I would just want it to open like a fresh beer after being in the flip top / growler for an hour or so. Again, my main concern is carbonation.

Also, I don't need to do the whole counterpressure thing then right? Just chilled growler / flip top and a hose for filling?

Thanks,
Dustin

Thanks guys, so you think if I use 1 or 2 liter flip tops / growlers with a hose for filling It will stay carbonated? I don't travel too far so I would just want it to open like a fresh beer after being in the flip top / growler for an hour or so. Again, my main concern is carbonation.

Also, I don't need to do the whole counterpressure thing then right? Just chilled growler / flip top and a hose for filling?

Thanks,
Dustin

CP isn't necessary, especially if you're not going to let the beer stay in there for long ;)
When I want to fill bottles, I jam a bottling want into the end of a picnic tap - Works like a champ.
I've had bottles filled that way still taste great after 2-3 months...

Just keep your eyes on craigslist and you can pick up small (2.5gallon) cornys for a song. I just snagged three brand news ones plus two new 5 gallon cornys, 10 gallon SS brewpot, wort chiller, lagering fridge w/controller, CO2 tank, regulator plus everything needed for all mash brewing for $400. I'll keep what I want and still sell the rest for near $400.

Plan ahead, scan craigslist every other day and you can get some top flight gear practically for free. Those three 2.5 gallon cornys are about $100 each by themselves!
Cheers,
Bill

Latest posts

Back