Sams Choice Sparkling Cider+Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Reaction score
I asked this in the recipe/data base thread, but there is not much traffic there so I would like to ask you folks.

I have the sams choice sparkling cider ready to bottle and am wondering this.

I am assuming that it is okay to bottle this in regular beer bottles. This is my first batch and it is ready to bottle. Do I need to be concerned about the carbonation levels?
Thanks,

This is 5 gallons of apple juice fermented 4 weeks with a package of Nottingham dry yeast. The recipe primes with one more gallon of apple juice for carbonation. This is my first cider and first sparkling anything to bottle.

Cheers,

Thanks, Tusch! I appreciate your insight.

Like2brew, I am carbing with apple juice. I copied this out of the recipe.

"I use "Tree of Life" apple juice which contains 30g of sugar per 8oz (1 cup) serving. That is roughly one ounce (2 grams over) of sugar per cup. Im not picky and i like a little extra fizz so i added 5 cups for a total of 40oz of juice. Gave 5 quick stirs with a slotted spoon, then bottled.

Let sit in bottle for 1 week before tasting, should be fully carbed by then if not just wait will carb well on its own."

Are you using the recipe on this site?

I did some quick math for a thread a little bit ago on the amount of juice to use per bottle for standard carbonation, and it came out to adding 1/3 of a gallon of juice per 5 gallon cider batch, this would equal out to somewhere between 2 and 3 points of gravity, which is just about right. any more and you're looking at possible bottle bombs in weaker bottles.

Back