Total noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKchill

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the awesome apfelwein thread, "EdWort says, “Most ciders are a bit sweeter. Ciders and Apfelwein are about 6% abv, but I like the little boost I give it with 2 pounds of Dextrose. It adds no body or flavor and still tastes like Possmann's Apfelwein, only it will kick your butt much quicker."

Does this work for all beer, or will it make the beer taste sweet? I mean, its not going to add body or flavor to that, but will it to an IPA wort?:confused:

Dextrose is highly attenuative- meaning that it will ferment out without leaving sweetness. Malts and sugars from fruits are less attenuative.

Belgians use refined sugars to make a drier more digestable beer.

The use of sugar is framed by the style and balance of ingredients, so adding it to an IPA would not be recommended.

Dextrose is highly attenuative- meaning that it will ferment out without leaving sweetness. Malts and sugars from fruits are less attenuative.

Belgians use refined sugars to make a drier more digestable beer.

The use of sugar is framed by the style and balance of ingredients, so adding it to an IPA would not be recommended.

If dextrose does not change the taste much couldn't you add it to an IPA for a boost?

Back