Help with Rookie Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadan

Reaction score
Boy did I screw up. I was all excited to make my second batch in the MRB kit. I had scrapped the booster and was going to make an Irish Red Ale. Here are the ingredients:

1 Can Englishman's Nut-Brown Ale
1 Can Pale Export UME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of beer mix)
1 Packet U.S. Goldings Pellet Hops

When I got all done and was picking things up I realized I had added a can of MRB Cowboy Golden Lager instead of the Pale Export UME. What have I created? I searched through the MRB recipes and couldn't find anything that put these two cans of ingredients together.

Is it even worth or should I throw it away and start over...learning from my mistake?

Thanks for your help.

Dan
A humbled rookie

:mug:Don't throw it away. It will be some kind of brew worth keeping. Extracts are kind of interchangable. A lot of brewers only use light malt extract for every style. They let their steeping grains for the color and flavor.:mug:

It's likely to be slightly hoppier, and to be honest probably better. All of their kits seemed a bit too light on the hops to begin with. The only major difference between the Cowboy Lager mix and the Pale Export is that the pale export is unhopped, and the Cowboy lager has some hops in it (though not very much). It just might be the best batch yet, so don't throw it out!

GO FOR IT!!!!!!! So what you picked up some of the wrong ingredients. Some of the worlds best innovations have been mistakes.

I made a mistake with my Strong Stout (Dark Thunder) and put 1 lb of Brown sugar instead of .5. Turned out freaking great!

i don't have a lot of brewing experience, but i can't see myself throwing beer away until i've tasted it...

The young one is wise beyond his years! (in experience, I don't know how old you are!)

in my sig, "There are no mistakes in brewing, only limited editions!" Not my quote, I saw it on here somewhere.

According to the general consensus here, don't dump a brew unless it is pregnant or has grown a penis! Everything else can be saved...

Back