Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard that makeing a yeast starter is a good thing to do. but i was wondering do i need to make one useing a stir plate ar there other ways? And is there such a thing as haveing to much yeast cells in the wort?

You do not need to use a stir plate. Search yeast starter and you will fine a ton of threads that explain the procedure.

No you can not add too many yeast cells.

Starters are a good idea, and really necessary for high gravity beers. Starters in flasks on a stir plate propagate the yeast faster. That being said making a starter and just hand stirring (picking it up and swirling it) the flask occasionally is much better than no starter at all. It is possible to over pitch but highly unlikely to do on a home brew scale. You would have to make one huge starter, so basically don't worry about it, under pitching and stressing the yeast is a much more common problem.

You don't have to use a stir plate. My first ones were done using 2 liter bottles. The nice thing about those is just leave the cap on loose and whenever you walk by it, just tighten the cap, shake, shake, shake, and loosen the cap. And repeat every time you walk by.

Stirplate is nice thing but not necessary.
It will help oxygenate wort and increase cells multiplying, without it cells will still multiply but not that much.
I"ve read that some folks use plastic bottles with small hole on top, when is time to oxygenate they simply squeeze bottle letting the air pass trough the hole.

No you can not add too many yeast cells.

Yes you can over pitch. However as someone else said it is very unlikely in the home brew world. The way most home brews over pitch is by pitching on to a cake of yeast from another brew. Essentially making a 5 gallon starter, use a pitch rate calculator to get an approximation of the size of starter you need for the brew you plan to make and that way you will be getting it right and not wasting DME or under pitching. Mr Malty is the most popular Yeast Calc tool out there however there are lots of them and a little reading on the subject will show you how to calculate your numbers yourself.

Clem

Yes you can over pitch. However as someone else said it is very unlikely in the home brew world. The way most home brews over pitch is by pitching on to a cake of yeast from another brew. Essentially making a 5 gallon starter, use a pitch rate calculator to get an approximation of the size of starter you need for the brew you plan to make and that way you will be getting it right and not wasting DME or under pitching. Mr Malty is the most popular Yeast Calc tool out there however there are lots of them and a little reading on the subject will show you how to calculate your numbers yourself.

Clem

Which was my point. You can't over pitch when making a reasonable sized starter.

Latest posts

Back