Hopback 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the process of putting my hopback/PC filter togehter
using a 6QT presto pressure cooker with a 1 1/2 tri clover inlet and a 2" outlet, 2" to 1" tri reducer to pump with a 2" #20 tri clamp screened gasket
using part of a veggie steamer for first false bottom and a 7 1/2" round 1/8 perforated SS for the lower FB, I have welded up all the holes on the lid, so its air tight with bleeder valve on top.
will post some pics when its done, waiting on some fitting clamps and 1 1/2 SS tubing

Henrythe9th said:
I'm in the process of putting my hopback/PC filter togehter
using a 6QT presto pressure cooker with a 1 1/2 tri clover inlet and a 2" outlet, 2" to 1" tri reducer to pump with a 2" #20 tri clamp screened gasket
using part of a veggie steamer for first false bottom and a 7 1/2" round 1/8 perforated SS for the lower FB, I have welded up all the holes on the lid, so its air tight with bleeder valve on top.
will post some pics when its done, waiting on some fitting clamps and 1 1/2 SS tubing

Awesome. Look forward to seeing.

Ive been using my hopback as mostly a prefilter for my plate chiller. I stuff a SS scrubbie down in there, and there's a screened gasket at the bottom (it's a triclover filter housing). Anyone got any bright ideas how NOT to clog the hopback but keep the filtration properties there? I've thought about a "cartridge" with several laers of various screen...

I also use a modified corny as a grant, and am now wanting to find something better than the filtered funnel when I use it pre-plate chiller. I might need to build me one of those false bottom things so mine resembles the asparagus steamer. I love using a grant and have combined mine to my pump so it acts like a gravity break no matter what vessel I am using.

I have a youtube video showing how to use my new equipment from MoreBeer.com. I ordered their hopback, counterflow chiller, and march pump. The most important part of the process is the screen used to filter out the whole hops from your brew kettle to the hopback. I found out the hard way that you need one of these things. It's a good thing that beer really wants to be brewed or I would've completely screwed up a batch of beer. Here's my video link...

I just racked the first "screwed up" beer to a secondary fermenter and here are my tasting notes: The beer tastes intensely hoppy...sort of like a dry hopped beer, but without the grassy/resinous flavor. The hop aroma is somewhat subdued, which I suppose is why many microbrewers still dry hop their APAs. It's still smells citrusy, but only slightly so compared to the enormous hop flavor. Try to picture a HUGE hop flavor with very little aroma. I want the flavor and smell to match so I'm going to dry hop for 4 days. The hopback is an excellent hop filter and even though this was my "screwed up" batch, the quality of this beer is first rate. I highly recommend trying this system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be testing my new hopback shortly and will post pictures. I'm using a 9L (2.25gal) corny keg. I did not want to make it so it was unusable ever again so I had a spare liquid post modified to allow a bit of stainless tube to pass through it and to the bottom of the keg. This pokes through a bit of domed, perforated plate at the bottom. I'll be pulling it out of the hopback and through my plate chiller and then into the fermenter.

Here's hoping it works! I've not incorporated a lid on my hopback and will be running the hot wort directly into the top of the keg and onto the bed of hops. I will be using it to filter out trub and spent hop pellets.

Here's my video link...

Cool video but why does he yell so much? We can hear you fine man. He puts the fermenter lid sanitized side down on the counter. Oops.

To a few posts back...thinking of building a hopback and thought to put rice hulls in even on beers that don't need a hop blast. Glad to hear it works well.

Yelling at your hops makes them more volatile. Har. Also he fondles the air tube with both hands, then right into the wort. That would be a no-no at my house. Way to rock the brew house! Nice vid.

Back