WLP400 vs WLP550 Belgian question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Hey all you Belgian berr brewers - I want to brew a Belgian Style White Wit kind of beer with a lil bitter orange and coriander and would then like to try pitching some other Belgian style ale on the cake being the frugle brewer that I am. Will the WLP550 be too far off the mark for a White Wit style brew? or can I swing IT.

Obviously the WLP400 is the recommended product, but if the 550 will work I like to cycle brew on a yeast cake for 2-3 batches to stock up.:mug:

I think WLP550 would probably be fine, since it seems to have a pretty similar flavor profile to the WLP400. The WLP500 would be way too fruity, but yeah, I think WLP550 would be okay. Of course, you might even be able to go the other way and use the WLP400 for a regular belgian ale.

EDIT: And in fact, the chart says that's a better fit. Now I'm considering pitching something on top of my wit yeast cake.

wait wait. how long can you let your "yeast cake" sit before brewing? does it have to be back to back on the same day as bottling? if not how long until it's unsanitary to the yeast/wort?

I've used both 400 and 550 a couple of times, and they're actually pretty similar. You should be fine either way around, although it really depends on what you're planning to brew next.

The main differences I've noticed: 400 is a little sweeter, which I like for a wit, while 550 has a slightly higher alcohol tolerance.

how about the opposite? I have AHS Pale Ale with WLP400 going in primary right now for couple weeks which reccomends WLP550. I used what I had and hope my beer willl be ok?

Back