• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stainless Steel Bulkheads 1/2" NPT internal threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I have used all I need and have plenty extra. I bought these surplus so they are used but in great condition. Here are the specs: 316 SS, internal tapered 1/2" NPT threads on both ends, 3/4" straight external thread w/ locknut. I origanally bought new buna-n rubber o-rings as pictured but I don't like them. I bought silicone ones today and will be here by Monday. I'll include 1 silicone and 1 buna-n with each bulkhead and let you decide which to use. These things are very expensive new but I got a good deal on them and am gonna pass it on. I'm asking $12 each plus shipping. I think atleast five or six will fit in the $5 flat rate shipping box but I'll varify that tomorrow. As you can see in the pictures, some have a thicker nut but all function the same. Prosit!

4527283820_437a7723f3_b.jpg

4527284670_4bdddab569_b.jpg

Pickles,

You have to be the King of buying surplus! I saw the RIMS tube you bought surplus and the flow sensors you bought surplus. I wish I had your talent for finding these things surplus. :)

Actually my dad is retired and doesn't have anything to do but make his daily rounds to all the stores in my hometown and talk (bother I'm sure) with his buddies. One of his rounds is an industrial recycler. He tells me when they get things I might need and I take a day and visit mom and dad and pick through boxes of goodies. Its actually a lot of fun :) I got all my electrical stuff there too. I wish I knew more about DIN mounted breakers and such because they have oodles!

Actually my dad is retired and doesn't have anything to do but make his daily rounds to all the stores in my hometown and talk (bother I'm sure) with his buddies. One of his rounds is an industrial recycler. He tells me when they get things I might need and I take a day and visit mom and dad and pick through boxes of goodies. Its actually a lot of fun :) I got all my electrical stuff there too. I wish I knew more about DIN mounted breakers and such because they have oodles!

It looks like your dad has an eye for the good stuff. It sounds like you should do something special for your mom and dad for helping you get all this neat stuff you lucky guy.

Do they seal well on curved surfaces like pots and kegs? Do the threads go to the outside I assume?

They seal up just fine, but I think it'll be better with the silicone. I only have keggles though. I actually soldered mine with the threads inside the keg but I don't think it would matter either way.

SawdustGuy - your right I should :). I need to figure out how to use the flow sensor to protect my RIMS. Unfortunately I'm clueless about their function.

My first post to the board, thanks for having me, quick noob question. what the exact function of these fittings? are they put through the side of the pot/keg to hook up a valve to?

My first post to the board, thanks for having me, quick noob question. what the exact function of these fittings? are they put through the side of the pot/keg to hook up a valve to?

Exactly, in fact with these you can put a fitting on both sides since its threaded from each end.

How's it going?

I saw your post for the bulkheads. Not sure if you have any left, but I'm currently looking for stainless steel bulkheads, and figured I'd drop you a line.

Any feedback that you have would be great.

rich.

Yep they are still available. How many you want. We can work out a deal if you want a bunch. Pm me.

I've done some testing now that I have the silicone washers and have found that the best seal comes from a combination of the two washers. I drilled a 1 1/8" hole with a holesaw (however 1 1/16" hole would have been a perfect "threaded" but I have that holesaw size), placed the Buna-N washer against the Hex head of the bulkhead and the silicone against the nut. It sealed tight and was very rigid.

I'd be interested in a bunch of these, but would like to avoid shipping. Can I pick up locally in Columbus? Thanks for the hook-up! :rockin:

Pickles- I installed and tested the bulkheads this weekend. Perfect seal, and they worked out great. Highly recommend- thanks again!:mug:

NPT on the exterior? Looks like straight thread. Maybe 3/4-10? That's the coarse thread, don't know the fine thread count-per-inch.

Not that it really matters just thought pipe thread on the exterior seemed strange.:)

Do you have any of these left?

I bet he does, but if not, send me a PM and I can hook you up with my extras, I ended up not replacing all of my bulkheads.

Please allow him to respond first, I do not want to poach a sale, but I won't be checking this post regularly either.

I got the parts today, thank you. They are much beefier than I thought, it's hard to tell the scale of them in the pic you have without something else to reference. They are very nice.

Great to hear! Your right, I need to take a picture with a quarter for reference. Just remember the tighter fitting the hole the sturdier and better fitting it'll be.

Here's a pic you can use, it's attached to a full port 1/2" 2 piece ball valve by way of a close nipple,
and has a 1/2 NPT x 1/2 compression fitting on the other side, for size reference.
The fittings are just loosely threaded in, they would go in much tighter with thread tape and a wrench.
IMG_3618.jpeg

That's a perfect pic for reference. It's almost as big as that ball valve!

Sorry, total newb here. Will these be correct for all my bulkhead fittings? I'm currently planning out the following.

2 BK HERMS (2 recirc in/out, 1 drain, 1 whirlpool return, 1 sightglass, 1 thermometer)

1 MLT (1 whirlpool return, 1 drain)

Would these bulkheads work for all of these applications? If so, I'm looking at 14... are there still 14 available? I assume these work as either weldless or welded?

Sorry, soooo much to learn and its a slow process :(

Yes these will work for any penetration through a kettle wall or bottom. They accomodate material up to 3/4" thick. I have 7 of them soldered into my kegs and they are leak free. I'm sure they can easily be welded. I have plenty left.

I tried several ways of shipping and for two or more, $5 flat rate box is the cheapest. They are fairly heavy pieces.

Back