Weizenbock Extract Recipe Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Where to start?

5 gal Partial mash
6-7 lbs wheat LME
+/- 1lb melanoidin
+/- 1lb Light crystal
1.2-4 oz hallertauer or simliar for 60 min
hefeyeast?

Thanks

Here is one I brewed all-grain:

9# wheat
2.25# munich
2.15# pilsner
1.63# caramunich

5.5 HBU Hersbrucker @ 60
1.4 HBU Hersbrucker @ 15

Wyeast 3068

I don't think it translates that well to an extract recipe, but if I had to guess (and I do) I'd say

7.5 - 8# wheat DME
Mini-mash:
1# munich
1# pilsner
1.5# caramunich (45)

And you may need to bump up the bittering hops 15-20% if you're doing a partial boil. You want ~17-19 IBU's total.

Here's one from a previous post by walker-san

This is stolen from The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian. It's a darker brew because of the grains used.

Phat Fired Weizenbock

1 lb crystal malt
1/4 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb caraffe malt (debittered black malt)

3.3 lbs light extract syrup
3.3 lbs wheat extract syrup
1.5 lbs amber dry extract

1.5 oz spalt hops for 60 minutes
1 oz santiam hops for 5 minutes
1 oz santiam hops for 2 minutes

German Wheat yeast

so for the sake of easy ordering:
4 wheat lme
4 light lme
1 crystal
.5 chocolate (i have this around)
1 of some amber malt

1.5 bitter
1 flavor
1 aroma (do these varieties really matter? what AA% are spalt/santiam) I ask because I have a few oz of halertauer around)

NEPABREWER said:
so for the sake of easy ordering:
4 wheat lme
4 light lme
1 crystal
.5 chocolate (i have this around)
1 of some amber malt

Most wheat extracts are blend of wheat and two row so skip the light lme and double up the wheat lme. I did a weizenbock earlier this year with 60% wheat malt, 40% dark munich, 1.100 gravity. Besides the fact of just having 55# of dark munich on hand and no pilsner, it allowed me to obtain an amber color and some additional maltiness/sweetness without the addition of crystal. I tried one after two weeks in the bottle to get an idea how it turned out. Bad idea, drinking it young is like eating a crunchy green banana.

Cool - 8lbs of Wheat LME and a handful of specialty grains and away we go.
Hop ideas? I like sweeter Bockier for lack of a better term beers as opposed to my hop is bigger than yours flavors.

Any of the noble German hops should work and be traditional...they're generally low in bitterness and higher in aroma. I like Hallertau (and I'm trying Hallertau Hersbrucker this year), but Tettnanger or Spalt should work, I would think.

I broke down and brewed up a derivation of the recipe above. I had a hefeweizen yeast that was begging for a beer, plus I tend to like a little darker beers. We'll see. I brewed it up after a night of call, so it was amusing (though not at the time) to see all the things that I forgot to clean until I needed them (funnel, airlock and strainer), and I underestimated how much wheat DME I had left. Not to mention I nodded off and had a boilover. Hence,

Fat and Tired Weizenbock

1 lb Crystal 60L
1/4 lb Black patent
1/4 lb Chocolate
6.5 lb M&F wheat DME
1 lb M&F light DME (I ran out of wheat DME)

1.5 oz Spalt (4.7%aa) at 60 min
1 oz Tettnang at 5 min
1 oz Tettnang at 2 min

1 tsp Irish moss

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

I'll bottle with 3/4 cp corn sugar
OG around 1.070

Next time I don't think that I'll be brewing post call...what was I thinking?!

Cheers,
Marc.

NEPABREWER said:
Cool - 8lbs of Wheat LME and a handful of specialty grains and away we go. Hop ideas? I like sweeter Bockier for lack of a better term beers as opposed to my hop is bigger than yours flavors.
I usually brew weizens with 5-6 lbs DME and hop using whole Hallertau's at about 1.2 oz (3.5-3.8%AA) of bittering hops.

Weizens usually do not use any other hops but bittering and still come out sweet.

If your hops are in the 3.5 range I wouldn't use more than 2.5 oz for bittering for 8# of malt.:D

Back