Visiting Austin This Weekend!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I searched threads for recent posts on where to go and what to do in Austin but the most recent I found was from 2008.

Anyone have suggestions for my visit? My girlfriend and I are going to try to get out to Jester King on Saturday. She'll be in a conference Monday through Wednesday so I'll have more time on my own to explore beer-related options then. We love great food and beer, and enjoy music as well. We tentatively have Franklin, Uchi, Barley Swine, and a couple other places on our list. I love food trucks too and have heard there are some good ones around but don't know which ones are great and which are just on the bandwagon.

We'll be staying downtown and won't have a car most of the time but don't mind hoofing or cabbing it. Or if there's a good public transit system, all the better. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

You should go to Thirsty Planet, Hops and Grain, and Rogness. They only charge an initial fee then fill your glass multiple times. Austin Beer Works is open on Fridays and those are the only places I've been to.

explosivebeer said:
I searched threads for recent posts on where to go and what to do in Austin but the most recent I found was from 2008.

Anyone have suggestions for my visit? My girlfriend and I are going to try to get out to Jester King on Saturday. She'll be in a conference Monday through Wednesday so I'll have more time on my own to explore beer-related options then. We love great food and beer, and enjoy music as well. We tentatively have Franklin, Uchi, Barley Swine, and a couple other places on our list. I love food trucks too and have heard there are some good ones around but don't know which ones are great and which are just on the bandwagon.

We'll be staying downtown and won't have a car most of the time but don't mind hoofing or cabbing it. Or if there's a good public transit system, all the better. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Bypass Franklins their are tons of other places without the wait! Try 6th street! Lots of foodie places! Google or yelp something close by! I lived their for 4 years! Great times!

If you go to Jester King, hit up thirty planet like Araknaphob1c said. It is right around the corner from JK and they open an hour or two early (11 i think). Go there and have a few then go to JK and have a few. all of them are friday/sat only so you cant hit them all in a week. For bars, hit up draught house, hopsfield is cool but hard to get to, the flying saucer is always good and those b@stards have firestone-walker and we dont in houston. i heard they're coming in 3Q so i'm happy. I avoid 6th street because its not my kind of places but with friends its fun. There are a few brew pubs like uncle billy's and others. For food definitely check out Nobel Pig. Their beef tongue sandwich was amazing. Also check out a few food trucks (aka roach coaches) on S. Congress, they are every where.

I think this website you can find and hit the food trucks that sounds good to you. Austin Food Trucks

Check out Rainey St. There are a bunch of bars, one of which has 100+ beers on tap and another that features all Texas beers. It can get crowded at night but its worth checking out for some good beer.

Back