dinitrogen monoxide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
Also known as laughing gas. It is used for whipped cream..... so why not beer?? It is sold in the little metal chargers like the ones used for paintball guns. I've seen dispensing units for corny kegs that are meant for CO2 so you don't have to haul your tank and regulator to a party. So I'm thinking why not try some nitrous in a batch of stout. Anyone tried it? Surely I'm not the first one to think of this:confused:

sm-laugh.gif
That's the funnies idea I've ever heard.
sm-laugh.gif

sm-laugh.gif
Hahahahaha, hahahahah, hahahaha!
sm-laugh.gif

If it comes out of the tap whipped, you could put a dollop on top of a piece of coffee cake. Damn, that would be tasty.

abracadabra said:

Why? cause it's there.

Why is it that every new or different idea that I've seen on this sight today has to be shot down by people that don't care to even think about it for one blessed second?

Why? "Why carbonate beer at all? the monks thousands of years ago didn't carbonate their beer."

Why? "Why bother being alive at all if you're going to die eventually anyways?"

The reason for trying out nitrous for beer is the same as the reasons it's used for whipped cream:
1. it dissolves into liquids extremely quickly and easily
2. it provides the creamiest whipped cream with the smallest bubbles.

If small bubbles and a thick creamy head is what you want in a stout, then it makes sense to me that nitrous could be MORE effective than beer gas or straight nitrogen. Plus it has a sweet aroma that nitrogen and CO2 do not have.

THAT is WHY

the_bird said:
Where do you get these canisters? What are they usually used for?
You can get them at some kitchen/restaurant supply stores. There might even be some grocery stores that sell them.

When all else fails, try to find a "tobacco shop" that smells like Nag Champa and has tie-dye art on display.

The legitimate use is for whipping cream for baked goods. But some places (like the "tobacco shops" mentioned above) have these things called "nitrous crackers" that allow you to pierce the seal on the canister and fill a balloon with the gas. Then you can do painless oral surgery.

I think they use it in whipped cream because it can be compressed very well. The reason for the small bubbles is mostly the nossle it comes out of. I don't know how well it actually disolves into a liquid since I don't really consider whipped cream a liquid but go for it. BTW don't try to use anything that isn't considered medical grade. It's like those stupid punks who try to get high from the N2O that they installed in there car and black out since it's not the stuff that doctors use.

shafferpilot said:
Why? cause it's there.

Why is it that every new or different idea that I've seen on this sight today has to be shot down by people that don't care to even think about it for one blessed second?

Why? "Why carbonate beer at all? the monks thousands of years ago didn't carbonate their beer."

Why? "Why bother being alive at all if you're going to die eventually anyways?"

The reason for trying out nitrous for beer is the same as the reasons it's used for whipped cream:
1. it dissolves into liquids extremely quickly and easily
2. it provides the creamiest whipped cream with the smallest bubbles.

If small bubbles and a thick creamy head is what you want in a stout, then it makes sense to me that nitrous could be MORE effective than beer gas or straight nitrogen. Plus it has a sweet aroma that nitrogen and CO2 do not have.

THAT is WHY

you forgot to add that it would very likely have a more interesting intoxicating effect

Mutilated1 said:
you forgot to add that it would very likely have a more interesting intoxicating effect

Ok, you caught me. That's what actually started my thought process:drunk:

Around here, the only place to find it is head shops (ya know, where the college kids get their water pipes (read "bongs"). The Crackers are available there as well, but I'd use one of the portable chargers for corny kegs like this one for this idea:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4570

the stuff used for race cars is the same stuff, the difference is that they put in a little sulfer dioxide to make it taste and smell nasty to keep people from huffing it. Those guys pass out because their throat swells shut. Dangerous to say the least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

shafferpilot said:
the stuff used for race cars is the same stuff, the difference is that they put in a little sulfer dioxide to make it taste and smell nasty to keep people from huffing it. Those guys pass out because their throat swells shut. Dangerous to say the least.

I was about to say. The stuff that comes out of my 20lb NX bottles smells like butt.

You could try dry budding too, that would be so epic...:drunk: :rolleyes:

A friend of mine is a dentist. I'm going to ask her whats involved in getting a 20 gallon tank of that stuff. I'll get back to you when I got an answer.

Virtuous said:
I was about to say. The stuff that comes out of my 20lb NX bottles smells like butt.

You could try dry budding too, that would be so epic...:drunk: :rolleyes:

I've thought of that as well. It'd be the most expensive brew ever (it'd need an ounce or two to be effective), but I know some cats that would go gaga over it!!!

Mutilated1 said:

It wouldn't.

Nitrous Oxide works by inhilation. It displaces the oxygen in your lungs, that its what gives the funky feelings- you are basically smothering.

Unless you inhale your beer, this is going to do nothing for you.

Docapi said:
It wouldn't.

Nitrous Oxide works by inhilation. It displaces the oxygen in your lungs, that its what gives the funky feelings- you are basically smothering.

Unless you inhale your beer, this is going to do nothing for you.

That's not entirely correct. A whippit is VERY different from being smothered. N2O is easily absorbed into all of the bodies tissues. It is true that when inhaling straight nitrous, your body is not taking on oxygen, however, the nitrous definitely does have physiological effects on the body. When you get laughing gas at the dentist, they mix it with oxygen because you will be inhaling it for a prolonged period of time. If consumed in quantity in beer, I'm quite sure the gas will easily pass through the lining of your stomache and intestines and into almost every tissue of your body. The effect will be much less severe than inhalation, it'll likely take some time for it to get into your bloodstream and will likely be longer lasting. I'll try posting this link again, maybe it'll take this time:

If Nitrous didn't do anything but smother you, they would just use something cheaper like CO2 at the dentist's office..... That and they would likely kill a lot of patients from oxygen deprivation and carbon dioxide poisoning (yes that is a different thing from carbon monoxide poisoning).

sause said:
I think they use it in whipped cream because it can be compressed very well. The reason for the small bubbles is mostly the nossle it comes out of. I don't know how well it actually disolves into a liquid since I don't really consider whipped cream a liquid but go for it. BTW don't try to use anything that isn't considered medical grade. It's like those stupid punks who try to get high from the N2O that they installed in there car and black out since it's not the stuff that doctors use.
I remember those days(kind of...)...paper bag and N2O

Beer gas is a mixture of N2 and CO2. It's used so that you can pull stout at higher pressures -to get the creamy head- without overcarbonating the beer, since N2 doesn't readily dissolve into aqueous liquids. I expect the same is true of Nitrous. It's used as a propellant which does not react with the cream - it forces it through the 'whipper' at high enough pressure without carbonating it. I have one of those whipped-cream things and you can get CO2 cartridges for them as well for making soda, they do not whip cream at all.

While it would be nice to make a whipped-stout garnish for the top of a sundae, I doubt beer is stable enough to hold it's form.

I think that bond between the nitrogen and oxygen is not strong in a nitrous oxide molecule. Nitrous is used as an oxidizer. I think for beer it would stale the beer faster then CO2. That's my 2 cents. - Dirk

Mutilated1 said:
A friend of mine is a dentist. I'm going to ask her whats involved in getting a 20 gallon tank of that stuff. I'll get back to you when I got an answer.

I do tech support for dentists. I believe the answer you are looking for is "DEA Certification".

sause said:

Quick correction. The dopes that pass out on Nox is because they inhale it straight while doctors carefully meter it with an oxygen mix. I've seen the same dopes pass out on medical grade Nox (one even did the Nestle splash onto a glass coffee table. Fun stuff.

According to the adds showing on this page between my post and BobbyM's #23 above, there are three URLs that might be useful, plus their is another add for Moonshineddvddotcom. I wonder if there is a spider of some kind deciding which adds to display? I guess it is sorta self evident.

BTW, automotive N2O is "supposed" to have sulfur smell in it. Really up to the wholesaler delivering tanks to the speed shop. The wholesaler "might" save a few pennies per tank if they occasionally "forget" to add the sulfur smell. Not that I would ever run N2O in a car that already makes 375hp crank, OHNOZ !!eleven!one

Back