Carbonation Pills and Dextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dforge888

Reaction score
We are due to bottle our licorice/coffee stout (extract) any day now, and are planning on adding dextrin for body to the bottles, along with the carbonation pills, and we were wondering on how best to do so. I may be mistaken but, I believe I've read a few things online which said we need to figure out the correct ratio of priming sugar to dextrin for our beer, boil together and then rack with the beer in a bottling bucket to mix, and then continue to bottle.

Should we use the same process with the pills? Would we add more or less pills than the usual 4 that is suggested, and should we plan to boil the total number of pills for the batch with the dextrin to dissolve them and then continue to bottle, or just add the pills to the bottle, boil the dextrin by itself and rack it with the beer to mix and bottle as usual?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Why waste the drops? Use plain dextrose instead and save 3-5 x $.

BTW no idea about dextrin (I assume that is maltodextrin?).

Latest posts

Back