Getting good Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewitt

Reaction score
I am about to brew a Black IPA. The grain bill calls for 2-row, Caramel 60 and Carafa III. I am wondering whether this is going to give a creamy mouthfeel or whether I need to add something like Carapils or Dextrin Malt. If so, how much for a 5 gal batch (BIAB)? Thanks for any input.

I would imagine you'll get a good mouthfeel with caramel and carafa. Depends how much caramel/crystal you put in. I'd say if its OVER 1lb, just leave it as is. If not, maybe just add .5lb of dextrine or flaked barley, or maybe even oats if you want a creamy mouthfeel. You could also mash a little higher. Good luck!

sounds like sublimiley, it should be fine w/o the carapils. what temp are you mashing at? you can raise it a lil if you're worried, its effectively the same as adding carapils.

sounds like sublimiley, it should be fine w/o the carapils. what temp are you mashing at? you can raise it a lil if you're worried, its effectively the same as adding carapils.

Well, I think its pretty close to Sublimely. I have planned to use 154F. Sound right? I'd be happy not to add more to my grain bill since I'm doing BIAB.

Just add a # of quaker quick oats (or flaked oats from your LHBS). Silky smooth. Believe me.

I don't think this is a good thing for an IPA (or IIPA), but hey it's your beer.

In a stout, it's wonderful.

Hmmm...

Honey Nut Oat Brown Ale??????

Back