Open to suggestions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's going on everyone? Last week I finally decided to start brewing my own beer and I just brewed my first batch of some good old IPA yesterday! Even though my first batch isn't even in the secondary yet, I'm already addicted and looking for some advice about some other recipes that are worth trying. I already know I'm going to make some Apfelwein or Cider, but I need some advice about some good beer recipes. If anyone wants to throw some this way, I'd appreciate it!

-Lee

How 'bout some more IPA! ;)

This hobby really is addicting, isn't it? Lots and lots and lots of great recipes from some great brewers here; take a look through the recipe database, or let us know what you'd like to brew next and we can help you find/formulate a recipe. What else do you like besides IPAs?

I'm down for pretty much anything, after going through two years of drinking keystone light at college. I'd be really happy to try some beers I've never heard of before, maybe some good German ones? I'm hopefully heading over to Deutschland soon so it would be nice to get a taste of their culture before I even go!

Most German beers are lagers, which makes them more difficult to brew without having the ability to closely control fermentation temps - but hefes are ales. As noted, they're easy to brew, recipes are very straightforward, and they're great for summer drinking.

Haha, I just looked at that Hefeweizen recipe, but I can't make any sense of it. Can someone explain what that means please? Like the basic process... do I just follow the procedure from the brewkit I bought or is there another one I should use?

it's an all-grain recipe. you're probably brewing with extract? Use your current procedure from your brew kit and try this:

This is your basic ingredients:
6 lbs Wheat DME (add at beginning of boil)
1 oz Hallertau Hops (for 60 minute boil)
1/2 oz Hallertau Hops (last 10 minutes of boil)

use some specialty grains if you want to add some character. I would suggest any of your choice of the following
(steep these for 30 minutes at 155 F, then add to water above and start your boil)
Belgian Aromatic
Munich
Acid Malt
Flaked Wheat
(1-2 oz of any [or all] of these should be fine)

Aye, for the money, the time-frame, and the summer season, you can scarce go wrong with a hefe. Just make sure to give it some room to bubble... that beer was the first one to explode my bucket (back when I used buckets for primaries). It's quite vigorous.

Back