Competition...need sage advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spearo

Reaction score
Although I am a newbie, i am thinking about entering an upcoming local homebrew competition. It's relatively small, inexpensive and looks to be a fun time. I've got nothing to lose, so why not.

With that said, I am looking for some advice on competing from some more seasoned (fermented?:drunk: ) brewers. Just because i have nothing to lose, doesn't mean i don't want to be prepared.

I'm not a "more seasoned" brewer, and I've never entered a competition myself.

I do have a friend who won a homebrew contest last year. It was put on by a local brewpub, and the winner got to brew a batch of the winning beer, using the brewery! I think he got to take a keg for himself, and then the pub sold the rest of it.

Anyway, he told me that he thought the secret was to brew something that they didn't already have on tap. I don't know what the format is of the contest that you are entering, but that might be something for you to consider.

Cheers and good luck! :mug:

I'll chime in. From this forum, we really don't have a whole lot of people that enter their beers, which really surprises me.

I've entered a few beers but I don't have a whole lot of experience. Nothing you can really do other than SOUND brewing practices will net you awards. If oyu have a solid beer, it will score well. It is hard to place in the larger categories (IPA, APA, Stouts, etc.) becaus of so many entries, but if oyu are a good brewer you can have a good showing. Emphasize FERMENT TEMPS and SANITATION and you'll do great.

I entered a few because I wanted feedback from experienced judges. I've since learned that feedback from experienced judges doesn't mean **** (no offense BJCP guys).

It doesn't hurt to enter some and get some feedback though.

Spearo said:
Although I am a newbie, i am thinking about entering an upcoming local homebrew competition. It's relatively small, inexpensive and looks to be a fun time. I've got nothing to lose, so why not.

With that said, I am looking for some advice on competing from some more seasoned (fermented?:drunk: ) brewers. Just because i have nothing to lose, doesn't mean i don't want to be prepared.

Where's the contest? I have one or two brews I've be interested in getting judged, depending on timing.

I haven't entered any contests. But one thing I've read is to make sure you use new plain 12oz. beer bottles and plain caps. The bottles and caps can't have any kind of distinguishing markings on them.

Thanks all.

The contest is in Littleton, NH. Strangely enough it's called the 13th Annual Littleton Homebrew Competition.

So, is anybody going to be at this? I entered 3 beers just for he hell of it. They aren't great but i figured it would be fun to go... and drink other peoples beer :drunk:

See anyone there?

All great advice from those above. I would add one thing though. Make sure you place your beer in the appropriate category. If you brewed an IPA but it came out more like an American Pale Ale then enter it into the Pale Ale category. I remember a few years back at GABF when Bridgeport IPA won a silver in the APA category. It won a gold medal in the Classic English Style Pale Ale category a couple of years prior to that.

Man - if I had known about this earlier I might have put a coupleof entries in. I'd go for the event tomorrow, but I'm supposed to be brewing a Wee Heavy with the girlfriend tomorrow :)

Brewtopia said:
All great advice from those above. I would add one thing though. Make sure you place your beer in the appropriate category. If you brewed an IPA but it came out more like an American Pale Ale then enter it into the Pale Ale category. I remember a few years back at GABF when Bridgeport IPA won a silver in the APA category. It won a gold medal in the Classic English Style Pale Ale category a couple of years prior to that.

i don't know how hombrew competetions usually are for categories, but this one is REALLY basic. They have 5 categories. 1)Lager, 2)Pale/light ale, 3)Amber/Brown ale, 4)Stout/Porter/Bock, and 5)Specialty

So it is pretty vague I guess. Should be fun though. Something to look forward to in this never-ending winter...

I entered my first and only comp this past March for some honest feedback.
And I got it. Can't say I disagreed with any of the comments either.
I did manage to get an honorable mention for an old ale, so not all was lost.

I'll probably enter a few more over the next few years. IMO it will cause me to brew just a little bit better, but pay attention to my process from fermentation to bottle more as that is where I made the majority of my mistakes.

Back