Creating First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
So my first batch of beer has been in the primary for two days now and I can't stop thinking about what I want to brew next.
A couple weeks ago I had an English style IPA from Howe Sound. I didn't even know there was such a thing but I really liked it and want to give it a shot. I don't know much about the flavor profiles and appropriate uses for different malts and hops (other than what is provided on beersmith). I put this little diddy together though. Thoughts?
Beersmith says you can't use victory malt for steeping but I read on the information super highway that you can. So is it ok or not? if not, what could I use as a replacement.

For a 5 gallon partial boil:
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)[late addition] Dry Extract 32.43 %
1.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 10.81 %
4.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract [late addition] Extract 43.24 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast-Ale

Cheers

English IPA IS the original/true IPA!!! (study time for someone...)

I'm personally not big on English IPA's, but I can appreciate them. The only thing that scares me a little about this recipe is the challenger. I brewed a SMASH IPA of maris otter and challenger early in my brewing career. I had to wait months for the garlicky challenger to fade and even then it wasn't too pleasant.

English IPA IS the original/true IPA!!! (study time for someone...)

Yes, I realize now how silly of me this was. I'm going to blame it on the fact that in the NW, all you ever see is American style IPA's

Is that a typical characteristic of challenger hops?

You can steep victory malt. Well, it's supposed to be mashed as you know. But I've steeped it in the past, and others have too. You will still get color and flavor, but maybe a little starch haze. Since you've got crystal 120L in there, you probably wouldn't see it anyway! I say that's fine.

I'm concerned about your hopping, though. Normally challenger hops are kinda fruity and "weird" tasting to me. For English IPAs, fuggles and/or East Kent goldings are used for flavor and aroma. Sterling is a very odd choice for an English IPA.

I'd probably make a few changes in the recipe based on "English" malt and hops.

First, I'd see if you could find some British specialty malts for the crystal. I'd go with a different hopping schedule, too.

Maybe something like a pound British crystal malt for steeping. Aand then for hopping, I'd use EKG or fuggles, for all the additions. Possibly target for bittering if you want to use something other than EKG or fuggles.

Here's one of my English IPA recipes (it's all-grain, but you can see what I'm talking about, I hope!):

10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.63 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (30 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (15 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (5 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

You can steep victory malt. Well, it's supposed to be mashed as you know. But I've steeped it in the past, and others have too. You will still get color and flavor, but maybe a little starch haze. Since you've got crystal 120L in there, you probably wouldn't see it anyway! I say that's fine.

I'm concerned about your hopping, though. Normally challenger hops are kinda fruity and "weird" tasting to me. For English IPAs, fuggles and/or East Kent goldings are used for flavor and aroma. Sterling is a very odd choice for an English IPA.

I'd probably make a few changes in the recipe based on "English" malt and hops.

First, I'd see if you could find some British specialty malts for the crystal. I'd go with a different hopping schedule, too.

Maybe something like a pound British crystal malt for steeping. Aand then for hopping, I'd use EKG or fuggles, for all the additions. Possibly target for bittering if you want to use something other than EKG or fuggles.

Here's one of my English IPA recipes (it's all-grain, but you can see what I'm talking about, I hope!):

10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.63 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (30 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (15 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (5 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale
Thanks for the input. Like I said, I don't know much about flavor profiles and appropriate uses. The only reason I used sterling was because the brewer from Howe Sound told me that's what they used for their bittering hops. I don't remember what he said they used for aroma. The only reason I used Challenger was because it was an English hop that according to beersmith, is supposed to blend well.

I'll switch to Target for bittering and get rid of the Challenger since two people here seem to think it tastes funny.
Cheers

+1 on using all east kent goldings. it is quintessentially english. Also, I would start out using single hop profiles when starting with recipe creation, so you get a true sense of each hop. Honestly, i rather enjoy single hop beers, sometimes more than than multiple hopped beers.

Back