Holy Lord!! 7.0 GE chest freezers @ HD for $170?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josiahcox

Reaction score
I just happened to check their site and it is coming up with this....

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Refrigerators-Freezers-Freezers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZasjrZ66xgy/h_d2/Navigation?&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&omni=p_$100%20-%20200

If my eyes are correct they are selling the 7.0 for $11 LESS than the 5.0 unit.
I may snag one of these at this price. :rockin:

I'm going to stop by HD tonight and see if they will honor the price in store.
I just wanted to share the find.

Take a tape measure with you and get us some inside dimensions on that one. If you can fit 4 kegs in there I might have a new lagering vessel on my wish list.

I stole this image from Edworts thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

ChestFreezer-GE-7.0.jpg

It looks like it might just be possible to get four kegs in there if you squeezed 'em in tight. And maybe one more on the hump, with a collar.

That's the pic I was using for comparison. It' looks like you can fit 3 in without a collar and maybe 4 with a collar?
I'm going to go check this out at my local HD after work today. I'll let everyone know what I find out. I'm taking cardboard cut outs with me.

I'm heading out tomorrow to pick one up... I'm glad I waited a week to get it. I was ready to pull the trigger last week and my cheapness has payed off :ban:

Oh, and since I was in the market for this I have been doing a bunch of research on this freezer and it looks like it will fit 4 kegs and a 5# tank as long as you build a collar. Also please note that the OP uses a 10# and that is why he can only fit 3 with the tank.

I got this GE 7.0 off craigslist the other day, and sized it up and am reporting that it will hold 4 kegs w/ CO2 on the outside, or 3 kegs W/ CO2 on the inside.

This is 3 pin-locks and 1 ball-lock so 4 ball locks should fit easily. This height is the only concern if you are not wanting to build a collar. I have a ball-lock keg that has been converted to pin-lock, and with the pin-lock disconnect it is about 3/4 of an inch too tall. So, the ball-locks w/ disconnects may fit, but it would be very very close. The pin locks fit fine.
100_2750.jpg

This is 3 pin-locks and my 10lb CO2 tank.
100_2751.jpg

Here are just a couple more shots so you can see the height problem.

Pin lock connects on ball lock size keg.
100_2756.jpg

3/4 inch measured gab
100_2757.jpg

I have a freezer very similar to this one (a holiday 7.2cf) and it looks almost like you can't fit 4. but you can.

they have to be ball locks though. can't fit 4 pinlocks

Okay, I went to HD and the price is right. :ban: My new keezer is now sitting in my brewhouse. $50 off the original price feels so good. It almost made up for SWMBO's look on her face when I got home with it. ;)

I got home very late last night so I didn't get a chance to run a tape on the inside. Hang on, I have the manual with me at work. Let me see if it says what they are....

Okay, I went to HD and the price is right. :ban: My new keezer is now sitting in my brewhouse. $50 off the original price feels so good. It almost made up for SWMBO's look on her face when I got home with it. ;)

I got home very late last night so I didn't get a chance to run a tape on the inside. Hang on, I have the manual with me at work. Let me see if it says what they are....

I looked through the manual at the store and didn't see the inside dimensions.

I took a zip tie that was the same width as my 6.5g carboy which I thought was 12 inches and it was exactly 2 lengths of that wide and about 14-15 deep.

popcorn.gif
I've been lurking on this one because I'm interested in picking one up if it will fit two 6 gallon better bottles inside. What do you guys think?

Edit: You beat me to the punch, Kilted.

popcorn.gif
I've been lurking on this one because I'm interested in picking one up if it will fit two 6 gallon better bottles inside. What do you guys think?

easy, I think it will fit 2 -6.5g carboy very tightly. The key with this is that it has more width than depth.

Take a look at the pics

GE looks like there is not enough depth to fit 2 front to back

ChestFreezer-GE-7.0.jpg

magic chef 7.2sq ft has more depth but not the width

ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

No luck. :( Stupid GE.
I'll run home and put a tape on it in a couple of hours so you guys can have ID's on it.

Yup free delivery, but call your local store if you have a truck. I wasn't patient enought o wait for the delivery. :D

If you get the order up to $200 enter promo code "DEPOTDEAL78" for $20 off

I am thinking of adding a power screwdriver as I don't need a drill to do a screwdrivers job.

Okay, I ran a tape quickly on it. With out the hump its just 24 wide and 15 1/4 deep approx. I had to measure quickly because I ran home on break to do it.

And by deep I mean front to back - just thought I would clarify.

Holy carp!!! I might have to buy one of these today! Been shopping around for a while and this is a pretty good deal!

I just got mine set up in the dining room... its cooling down now so I can see what the "warmest" setting is and maybe work out what the Kw/Year will work out to once I put the love controller in.

Maybe a Keezer build thread is in order... :cross:

Keezer build thread indeed. :rockin: Glad so many people are getting the hook up on this one.
So I am a total electonics n00b. I love the look of the Love controllers but am I going to need to get my electrician buddy to help me hook it up? Would I be better of just getting a easier to instal unit? Say a Ranco or Johnson?
I am planning on putting a collar on mine. I have some awesome finish grade maple that I am planning on using so it should look nice.

And I am sorry to all the wives, gfs and other SWMBO's who are getting new chest freezers this week. I had to share the good find and my wife shares your pain/anger.

$170 is a pretty great deal. If I had the space I would certainly get one. Unfortunately even a 7 sq foot keezer would take up a large percentage of space in my apartment. Maybe I should sell the futon and put a keezer there? Who needs to sit when having a homebrew anyways?

Got mine!

actually this is the 2nd chest freezer I bought this week. I got a 13cf one yesterday to keep the swmbo happy with actual freezer space. This one is for me.

We'll see if I can switch them and see if she call tell though ;)

And I am sorry to all the wives, gfs and other SWMBO's who are getting new chest freezers this week. I had to share the good find and my wife shares your pain/anger.

LOL, yep, I forwarded the link to my wife and she started asking if it was going in the garage. She then asked about safety with the two kids and if I could lock it. Yes, yes, find a good spot to put it, safety is an issue, lock kids in garage, sure, whatever!! :D

Shoot, I just got a 7 cf freezer at Lowes three weeks ago, for about 200.
I guess I won't complain, the good thing was free delivery and removal of the old dead unit 15 cf. It was down in the basement, so to me that was worth the extra 30 bucks...

I have one of these GE models, but I've never tried to fit more than 3 kegs at a time. I don't have a collar on mine, so I can't use the hump for a keg, plus my tank is just slightly too tall for the hump with the regulator in place. If you can fit 4 without using the hump, it would be super tight. Mine is now a general purpose beer fridge with both kegs and bottles filling the space.

for the tank to fit on my hump I had to put the regulator upside down since the regulator was what didn't allow it to fit.

as far as fitting 4, they fit basically perfectly tight. it's a good and a bad thing. I like it really. the less airspace I have and the more liquid I have the more constant my freezer will keep temperature.

I did add a collar though for line space and some more height for my taps. right now I have about 9 pounds of hops and 20 pounds of grain in the freezer with 4 kegs and the 5lb tank.

it's a very very tight fit but it works.

That's the freezer I got on CL for 50$. Like it's been stated it holds 4 ball locks TIGHTLY in the bottom, and 5 (only 1 on hump) if you collar it. With ball locks and no collars there is barely enough room above the kegs for the hosing to sit.

I use 4 kegs and a 24 oz paintball tank w/ party taps and have the ledge clear for my favorite bottled commercial brews.

elmetal - was it easy to remove the lid? I'm assuming that you mounted the collar to the top and then mounted the lid to the collar. Is that right?
I'm going to try and remove the hinge covers tonight on mine and unscrew the hinges so wish me luck

the lid takes.... 10 screws to remove. theres 1 screw on each side for the hinge cover, then 4 screws to actually attach each hinge onto the freezer. unscrew all that, glue the collar on, put lid on top, and attach lid to hinge, or double hinge if you'd like.

my collar is just glued with liquid nails tub edition right now. after drying it doesn't need anything else really.

my lid has a big piece of wood glued to the top (in the process of making a bartop) and just glued on I can easily lift the lid without any fear of ripping it off.

Back