I Need A Kick in the Arse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Hi ya'll, I'm SwAMi. Some of you may remember me from such classics as "OMFG Help!! My beer is stuck!" and "Do I really need to secondary? LOL!!!!1".

:D

So, time is rolling along and I'm still on brewing hiatus. As some of you may recall, I recently moved and I have a nice workshop to install a brewery in. Well, as luck would have it, I have inherited a decent variety of woodworking tools, like a table saw, radial arm, lathe, etc. So, I'm contemplating a DIY wooden stand. It is possible to build a wooden stand with burners built in.

Now, I have blueprints for a metal stand, but no metalworking tools. So I'd have to pay to have this done, and it may be expensive. I'm am at a total gridlock as to what I want to build. Every time I make up my mind, I wind up deciding against it and totally scrapping my plans. I need a swift kick in the ass.

I'm looking for a good indoor AG setup. Right now I have coolers for my HLT and MLT, and a converted keg for my boil kettle. I do have a pump, but I've never used one. I'd really like to do a single-tier, but a low double tier would work.

I want to utilize the entire HBT braintrust :)tank: ) for a big brainstorming session. There are no bad ideas.....if you can dream it up, let's hear it. I am seriously stuck and need to get the brewery back into motion. My goal is to be back operational by March 21st.

For the cost of an abrasive blade chop saw (not terribly expensive) and some angle iron, you could bolt your stand together.

I'd go with a 2 tier system - they don't have to be very tall to work effectively so long as your pump works well.

I'm with Yuri. Wood for this application scares the hell out of me, magnified by the fact that it's indoors.

Besides - METAL! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Here's a link to a two-tier system with wood.
This is a link to several different system styles.
But unless you're working with electricity or plan to use your stove top, your design should be portable so that it can be taken outside.

Good luck,
Wild

Here's how I see it.

You have woodworking tools, so if you build it with wood, you don't have to buy any new tools.

You do NOT have metalworking tools, so if you build it out of metal, you get to buy new metalworking tools.

Sounds like an argument in favor of metal to me!

If you spill enough water/wort on the wooden one, it should be flame-proof!

I think Yuri has the best suggestion so far. For the cost of a chop blade of even a cheap angle-grinder and a cut-off wheel, you can built it out of metal. You can use perforated angle iron like Brewpastor has and you wouldn't even need to worry about drilling holes.

The person with the most power tools upon death is the winner. You can not have enough. I am building an extension to my house just now and I have many many many good things! Angle grinders are fun though - just watch out for the sparks going up your nose. don't ask :)

Being an engineer, I would ask myself, "How can I build this in the most cost efficient manner, meet or exceed specifications and maintain safety?" All of these parameters must be met in the final product. If you choose to build out of wood, your cost will probably be relatively low, most specs could probably be met; however safety will always remain questionable. Naturally, fire and wood are a bad combination; but wood and water are also a bad combination. Wet wood will begin to deteriorate and strength will be compromised. Also wood continually expands and contracts with atmospheric changes, also contributing to structural weakening. The last thing you want is 170 degree plus water spilling all over you or anyone else in the vicinity. If you look at any commercially available brew sculpture, it is made from metal. This isn't done so that they just have an excuse to charge you more. It's done this way because it's simply the RIGHT way to do it. In regards to cost, it will cost more than using wood; but it can still be built rather inexpensively. You can certainly meet and/or exceed specs and it is hands down much safer than wood. The bottom line is. "If your going to do it, do it RIGHT."

I used industrial shelving that I purchased at Home Depot for my structure. No welding or cutting tools needed. Also, you can change the height of various sections until you're happy. Just replace the particle board shelves with pieces of expanded steel.

david_42 said:
I used industrial shelving that I purchased at Home Depot for my structure. No welding or cutting tools needed. Also, you can change the height of various sections until you're happy. Just replace the particle board shelves with pieces of expanded steel.

I've looked out there for something that might work, and couldn't find anything. Got a link or smething?

Also, as for the stuff that Brewpastor used......any idea where to get some? I looked on McMaster Carr, and it's damned expensive. I could probably have one built from angle iron cheaper than I could put one together from that stuff.

More inpuuuuuuut!!!!! :D

I'm currently using a chromed wire shelf setup that I recently picked up from Kmart for $75. Each shelf is 16" x 36". There are a total of four shelves and it stands 72" tall. The load rating is 200 lbs/shelf. I would include a link; but Kmart does not have this on their website; but it can definitely be found in the store. That's just one suggestion though. Do a web search for "wire shelves" and you'll come up with quite a few choices.

OK, hows bout something like this:

1875.jpg

But made out of cut up bed frames, and bolted up? I could cut that stuff with an angle grinder, and get the frames cheap to free.

SwAMi75 said:
OK, hows bout something like this:

1875.jpg

But made out of cut up bed frames, and bolted up? I could cut that stuff with an angle grinder, and get the frames cheap to free.

Looks killer.

Do the B3 plans tell you how to set up all the extras that come with their systems? I'm talking about fittings (part numbers) and plumbing schematics, etc.?

Dude said:
Looks killer.

Do the B3 plans tell you how to set up all the extras that come with their systems? I'm talking about fittings (part numbers) and plumbing schematics, etc.?

Nope, just the stand. It gives a cutting order, and that's about it. So for me, they'd just be a rough guide.

I got the bed frame idea from someone on BB....I thought it was genius.

SwAMi75 said:
Nope, just the stand. It gives a cutting order, and that's about it. So for me, they'd just be a rough guide.

I got the bed frame idea from someone on BB....I thought it was genius.

That sucks.

Oh hell yeah. When I was planning mine I searched for bed frames on the curbs for weeks. Nada. :rolleyes:

I've got an ad out on Freecycle for some. I need to post one on Craigslist, too, but I figured I'd go the totally free route first. :) If I don't come up with any within a couple weeks, I'm going with wood.

SwAMi75 said:
I've got an ad out on Freecycle for some. I need to post one on Craigslist, too, but I figured I'd go the totally free route first. :) If I don't come up with any within a couple weeks, I'm going with wood.

I like the bolting idea too. It will be easy to take apart and move. Moving mine is going to be a sumbitch, huh? ;)

Dude said:
I like the bolting idea too. It will be easy to take apart and move. Moving mine is going to be a sumbitch, huh? ;)

Not really. Think about all the bigass china hutches and stuff they move all the time....not to mention motorcycles, lawn equip. etc. I don't think the stand is that big a deal. If I could weld it I would, but I'm trying to stay cheap and within my skill zone. :)

IIRC Bed frame @ Costco about $30.
Sometimes when you buy a new mattress, they throw a free one in.
Hang around outside of Sleep America??

How many do you need?

I think I have one in the attic. Might take this route in the future.

olllllo said:
How many do you need?

I haven't busted out the plans to figure it all up yet. I'm guessing about 5. Maybe fewer if the thinner cross pieces can be used in places.

Well, in less than 24 hours I've got two frames guaranteed, and one possible. So, it looks like this is what I'm going to do. Come payday I'm gettng a cheap angle-grinder and cutting wheels, and this will become an actual project.

dantodd said:
Just but a stick welder. Should be less than $100

Add in a decent mask, gloves, slag hammer, clamps, etc. and that price increases quite a bit. If I had the money I would, but right now I'm trying to keep costs low.

I've seen a 3 tier stand fashioned out of bed frames and it was nice and like your plans done on the cheap. I think paying a garbage collector or waste management person in a sixer or two of homebrew would be a way of getting some additional bed frames. Those guys are always coming across stuff. Just leave an envelope with a note and a sixer next to the curb with your trash and see if they come through for you. Just tell them you'll share the fruits on your labor with them periodically.

Back