Corking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
Hey there folks, so I've a mead that I'm looking to put into some wine bottles. I'd like to cork it and have been reading up on how. Think I've a good understanding of the how, but I would like to ask if anyone has found any corkers to be particularly good (or bad)?

I'm suspecting that it's all pretty much the same, just boils down to personal preference. But figured I'd toss this out there for any opinions.

Thanks!

I have a double level, and while I have had no issues with sealing, I do have some concerns with it. First, it can be tricky to get consistent cork depth. It's not too bad, but sometimes the cork goes in to far or not enough, etc. Also, since it relies on grabbing the neck of the bottle and pulling the cork and bottle together, it can have problems holding on to all bottles evenly.

All in all, I would get a floor corker, they all appear to work better and more consistently. However, I have not used one, so I am not sure which design works best. But they don't vary too much in price either way.

If I had room, I'd get a floor corker. But I don't, so I use a regular double-lever corker as well. It's a little harder to get the cork in just right, but if you pay attention then it's just fine.

I use a Ferrari Floor corker. It has adjustable cork depths and adjusts for different size bottles. Can do champagne style corks, some day I am going to do a Belgian this way. Also can get an adapter to do crown caps.
Cheers, :mug:

So, is this what you mean by a double-lever corker? Wine Making Supplies :: EC Kraus
I first used one of these corkers and found it difficult to use as it easily slippped off the bottle.

I replaced it with a Portuguese floor corker in 2002 that I got on sale for $58. It has worked very well. The only problem I had with it was that the cork depth setting device (a knurled nut) kept moving. I corrected that problem with a little lok-tite... ;)

Back