Which of your beers do you always have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which of your beers do you brew ahead to make sure you always have some on hand? Links to the recipes would be great if you care to share.

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working on "final" recipes for a standard of my four favorite styles - pale ale, IPA, American Amber and non-dry stout.

None of them, though I try to keep a Pale, a Brown and a Porter or Stout on tap. I'm not interested in drinking the same beer month after month.

I'm with david - never brewed the same beer twice. Don't think I ever will. I brew seasonally - did a Wit and some Saisons this summer, just brewed up a winter-esque beer, and will be doing an English something or other soon for the fall.

Ditto, I am always in flux. Although there are some specialty beers that I have at various stages of aging that I need to brew again so I can have them for when they run out. But "normal" drinking beer, hmm I'd say over the past few years I have only repeated one of my recipes (an Amber APA) I think 4 times, that's my personal record. :D

I'm with david - never brewed the same beer twice.

Wow! I have to have something "hoppy" on tap at all times. The other tap I try to have porters and stouts in the fall -winter, and mabey a lawnmower beer in the summer.

I tend to lean towards a hefe during spring and summer, and oatmeal stouts and heavies during winter. but tend to leans towards the same beers maybe a few veriations

None of them, though I try to keep a Pale, a Brown and a Porter or Stout on tap. I'm not interested in drinking the same beer month after month.

I have a couple of recipes that I keep in rotation, but I only have two taps. Right now I have a blonde ale and APA sitting and waiting that can be chilled because it's already carbed up, an AB clone and Oktoberfest on tap, with an IPA in primary. I like having two totally different choices on tap, like the AB clone and the O'fest, and next the blonde and IPA.

My "house" beer is a DFH 60 minute clone, and I probably make it 4 times a year or so. That means it's on tap only about 8 weeks total per year!

I think I get bored with the same beers, even the ones I love. In order, next up is American Amber (hubby's favorite), SNPA clone, and then a mild. Somewhere in there I'll make a Maibock for spring, too. I want them all different.

Haven't been brewing long, but I can already tell that I will be brewing a couple of brews fairly regularly. My blonde ale recipe, Honey Hole Ale and my Brown Ale, If It's Brown, It's Down Ale.

In between, however, I still plan to branch out and try to find other recipes that may knock those out of their positions.

Nothing "always" around, but I gotta say that my Special Bitter is really a beer for all seasons, it's very low in ABV (3.8%) but is nice and full of toasty, biscuity, british flavor (my brother said it tastes like a meal in a bottle, it's so bready), but is still refreshing. I think I'll always have that one in the kegerator or at least in a fermenter waiting to go into keg.

In '08 I've gone through a "double batch" phase, making the same beer twice in a row/same day and tweaking them differently in subtle ways. Unfortunately, most of them have been big beers and have taken up a lot of "bucket time" fermenting, not allowing me to brew any "house beers". I guess it's time to increase the pipeline!

Cheers,

I'm still in the stage where I need to try different recipes and styles. If I had more kegs, I can pretty much guranteee that I would have an IPA or highly hopped APA on tap at all times. Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale would be an excellent year round beer to take care of my hop addiction.

None here too.
Closest I have come to making the same beer twice was when basing a new beer on a recipe I brewed before. Then I substituted a couple grains for what I had on hand. Made some adjustments to the hops. Adjusted the grain bill again for expected expected efficiency differences. And produced something in the same judging category that didn't look much like the original. :D

Craig

I have made a variation on a couple of recipes that I like several times but have not tried to brew the exact same thing twice. I usually base my next brew or two on what styles I have stockpiled and what events I have coming up. I also take requests from my fans. Soopastaaar!!

I regularly brew my Terminator Stout clone ( battles homesickness well ) and always seem to have a Hefe or a Dunkelweizen on hand.

I keep my "AK's Kolsh" on tap almost constantly. Its a really good beer for just sitting down and having a beer:

5.5 gal batch
90 min boil

3lbs boiled white rice
6.5 lbs 2-row
.25lb crystal 10L
.25lb torrified wheat

90min mash @149

~.5oz Willamette @90 min
~.5oz Sterling @90 min
Shoot for 20-25 IBU's

White labs German ale/Kolsh yeast

Ferment @64 for 14 days, force carb and serve.

If you've seen my new setup, you can tell I'm all about repeatability. I am working on four different core recipes that I can always keep on tap. My GPA, or "Georgia Pale Ale"; A lager I've dubbed "Davy Jones Lager"; A steamer I've dubbed "Anchor Overboard"; and a spice ale I've dubbed "Caribbean Gold".

I always have some pale ale around since west coast pale ale is my favorite style. Sometimes it's more amber or red than pale but you get the idea.

I haven't repeated anything yet. But I do have my IRA recipe almost perfect. It's about 3 out on my rotation for soon to brew, just behind Orfy's Hobgoblin and a DFHIBA. I call the IRA Crimson Ale, it's in the recipe database, is 4% abv, and a great quaffer with a nice dry finish!

Schlante,
Phillip

You from the 503? Representing Raleigh Hills over here.

Yes. I grew up in St. John's before the phone numbers became 10 digit monstrosities. I like Raleigh Hills, it is very quiet..or was.

I was back in town on a contract job from September '07 to Mid-December '07 and really enjoyed my stay. Brewed some tasty beer as well. Would move back permanently if the stars aligned in my favor.

If ya see any Brewpubs looking for a Manager/line cook/brewmonkey let me know.

Don't have a specific beer on tap, but usually have something brewed with date syrup on tap. And will always have at least one type of Belgian brew on tap, saison, tripple, etc.

I've tried to limit my brewing to specific beers and tweak the recipe a bit each time. I aim to repeat a batch often enough to still have some bottles left from the prior batch when the new batch is ready, so that I can do head-to-head comparisons. My house brews are: Fat Tire clone, APA, IPA, chocolate oatmeal stout, Arrogant bastard clone, and Chipotle Jalapeno Ale I've made a about 4-5 one-ofs of different stuff, some of which I'll eventually get back to, but right now that's all I've got going.

I'm into repeating and perfecting. The four I work on is IPA, APA, Dry stout and Mild. I'm getting kind of tired of IPA's (was the first and most frequent beer I brew) so I'm working on German pilsner now that I could lager.

I'm too new at this game to already have a regular brew, but what I anticipate is:

Tap #1: A someday-to-be-perfected IPA/APA. The house brew. It'll always be on.
Tap #2: whatever mood I'm in
Tap #3: whatever mood I'm in
Tap #4: A rotating Big Beer...Imperial Stout, Barley Wine, Imperial IPA, etc.
Tap #5: Commercial micro of some sort

Taps 2 and 3 will probably be brown ales, bitters, ambers, porters, regular stouts, etc. I don't care for Wheat beers or fruit beers. But tap #1 will have what the OP was asking about. A house brew that's always on tap. I just need to perfect what that will be.

Back