Beer line length for 4912

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkatuw

Reaction score
When I bought a dual tower for my 4912 conversion, it came with 5' of hose connected to each faucet. It seems like lately I'm getting almost a half a glass of foam whenever I pull a pint. I keep the pressure between 10 and 12 psi and the temp around 38 degrees.

Do most people that use a dual tower on a 4912 use the typical 5' of tube that comes with the tower or do most people remove the tube and put on a longer one. I used the equations from this page, http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public_html/docs/balance.html, and it seems like 5' would be more than enough.

L= (P-(H*.5)-1)/R
L= (12-(3*.5)-1)/2.7
L= 3.5'

My only other guess would be that the beer line that came with the faucet did not have a resistance of 2.7. I bought some hose before I bought the tower because I wasn't sure if the tower would come with beer lines, so I guess I could give that a shot.

That's what I've got and don't have that problem. Where's the kegorator located at? Is the tower and faucet getting hot? I think this can contribute to a first foamy pour. How's the pour on a second glass immediately after?

The second glass is better, but still foamy. The kegerator is in the basement where it's roughly 60 degrees, so it's not extremely warm.

Makes me wonder if your regulator isn't accurate. Try turning it down 1-2 lbs and see if that helps while keeping your beer carbonated enough. Otherwise, swapping out for some longer lines should do the trick.

I tried with the same 5' of line that came with my tower on my 4912 as well... A lot of foam was the result.

Quickly switched it out for... trying to recall here... 8' of line on each tap I believe. I might have even used 10'... Either way. Little-no foam. Perfect pour.

I've served beers between 10psi (bitter) and 15psi (wit) at 40F without issue. The 10psi bitter will pour a bit slower obviously, but its literally 8 seconds to fill a glass compared to the 6 it takes a 12psi beer or 4 it takes a 15psi beer. No biggy...

I'm using the 5' lines that came with my tower. The first pour has a lot of foam, but subsequent ones (within the next several minutes anyhow) are fine. However, I do have to keep my serving pressure around 8-9 PSI, resulting in a rather slow pour. Anything higher than 10 turns my kegerator into a foam generator!

When I'm ready to replace the lines, I will definitely go longer, I'm thinking 8'.

I have 5' or 6' lines on mine (can't remember what I cut them to) and pressure set to 10-12 psi. I have no problems at all with foamy beer on the first pull, but my tower is fairly well insulated with foam tubing.

Latest posts

Back