Cheapest online grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilddanz71

Reaction score
We're is the cheapest online source to by bulk grains? I'm looking to buy a 50lb sack or two, norther brewer and Midwest seem real cheap, but shipping is crazy
Thank you,

You could try morebeer.com. They have free shipping on orders over $50.00. Their grain prices are slightly higher, but free shipping is nice.

It's generally understood that free shipping means higher prices on stuff, which is true in most circumstances. When I purchase brewing ingredients and supplies I generally sick with morebeer.com, but there have been cases where northernbrewer was most affordable.

No free shipping from more beer on 50 lb sacks of grain unfortunately. LHBS is the way to go.

Look into a local bulk group buy perhaps? Depending on the resource and product, you'll run $30-40 a sack, including shipping. Buy enough for a year.

You can buy the 10lb of 2 row from more beer and its included in the free shipping -just buy 4 and some specialty grains

IslandLizard said:
Look into a local bulk group buy perhaps? Depending on the resource and product, you'll run $30-40 a sack, including shipping. Buy enough for a year.

This, I did it in October and still have something like 200 pounds waiting to be beer. Paid around $37 for a bag of 2-row pale. A group buy is also a great place to meet with other local brewers, the folks who have done the last couple buys around here have arranged a place to hang out and swap beers after the pickup. Lots of fun!

It's $37 for $50 of two row at the LHBS here. Well 40 miles away local, but that's as local as I get unless I want to deal with idiots that charge way to much. 2 roy is over $3 a pound there!

I think malted Red Wheat was only $41, I'm about to get 50# of both and a bunch of specialties too. I just have to build my mill first!

i order though morebeer. as stated above they have free shipping for over $60. you can get 10 lb bags that qualify for free shipping, though they also have 50 lb bags, but those don't. i checked the prices and it's usually cheaper to go with five 10 lb bags of base grain to get the free shipping. not sure how that works but seems pretty sweet. their free shipping options does take longer, usually about a week to process, but it's free. probably one of your better options if you don't have a LHBS. only thing i don't like about morebeer is their hop selection is a little limited and sometimes overpriced.

Nobody mentioned 50 pound sack. They are pretty decent on the grain and charge actual shipping. comes out about 75 bucks a bag of 2 row delivered. Not the greatest price but that is good for comparison anyway. The LHBS will often add a sack to their order for a reallu decent deal if you buy there every so often. I buy bottles and nitenoids from them to make sure they stay in bidness so they will be there if I have a brew day disaster. Just sayin...
Wheelchair Bob

Another vote for the LHBS. I get my hops online but... Grain I buy local because of the shipping. And yeast I buy local so I'm sure I can get a fresh vial / pack. My LHBS sells 55lbs of durst pale for 60.00. I get 10% for being a member of the local HB club. Not the most amazing deal but it's a fair price and I like to support my LHBS so they stay in business and I have a source for fresh yeast.

Back