which hop substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdd134

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew an american wheat, but I have no cascades. I dont care much about style but I would like to make a lighter style wheat, which hop would you use from this list?

Liberty
Hallertau
Willamette
Perle
Brewers gold
Saaz
Fuggle

The grain bill will be 4.5# 2-row 4.5 wheat WLP320 american hefe

Thanks

I was listening to Jamil show today for American Wheat and he suggested (if I remember correctly)

1.0 oz Willamette at 60
0.3 oz of Williamette at 0
0.3 oz Centennial at 0

I'm actually brewing a American Wheat soon and doing the same but using Ahtanum instead of Centennial.. mainly because I'm playing with Ahtanum

I think that cascade was originally derived from fuggle hops, so that might be a good substitute for you. I might be wrong, but I think they are a little lower in alpha acids though so you may need to use a bit more.

FWIW I just got a "pound" of cascade from hops direct and it looks and smells great, might be worth checking out while the shortage is on.

i prefer less overpowering hops. i use hallertauer for my wheats, which might be hard to come by now. maybe fuggles, or willamette, like hopleaf suggested.

I agree to go with something mild, although a very small addition of anything can work. In any case, use a light hand.

If you use Liberty in many other beers, save it. Liberty will be very hard to come by next year.

TL

SenorWanderer said:
i prefer less overpowering hops. i use hallertauer for my wheats, which might be hard to come by now. maybe fuggles, or willamette, like hopleaf suggested.

Hersbrucker is close to Hallertauer, I just got a "pound" of GR Hersbrucker from HopsDirect 2 weeks ago....

(I like that whenever someone orders from HopsDirect, they have to say "pound" instead of pound. Yay for overstuffing our bags!)

Back