My begginers kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewN

Reaction score
my begginers kit came with 2 buckets and several other items to make one 5 gallon brew, the primary would sit in one of the buckets until bottling day. If i were to buy a 5 gallon carboy could i put the 1st brew into the 5gal carboy instead of the bucket for the 1st primary and then create another batch and let it sit in the original bucket as the second brew primary?

or are carboys generally for secondarys

You need more head space than that 5G carboy will give with a 5 gallon brew in it. Just use the ale pale that has no spigot from your kit for primary. The spigoted one is a bottling bucket.

5 gallon carboys are usually for secondaries as they reduce the amount of head space for longer term conditioning. Too much head space can be detrimental as O2 can become present and create oxidized beer, same holds true for using 6.5 buckets as a secondary. 6 or 6.5 gallon carboys can be used for primaries as they allow for adequate head space for fermentation.

Another 5 gallon fermenting bucket with lid and airlock. If you are trying to brew a true 5 gallon batch I suggest a 6.5 gallon bucket, it will give you more head space, less chance of the lid blowing off and making a mess

Thanks a million for answering my extremely noob questions, i should have been able to figure it out myself!

Back