Yakima Magnum hops, have you used them??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i have these hops coming in with a kit and i was wondering if any one has any experiance with them. the aau of these babies is 12-17% pretty high. it says they are spicy and citrusy. any info would be good!!! thanks

I've used them before. They're actually quite nice as a bittering hop boiled for 60 minutes, nothing to be concerned about. What is the recipe for?

I've done another recipe which called for Warrior hops (17%) in the boil @60min, and again dry hopping and that beer is fantastic.

I just made a batch using a whole lot of Yakima Magnum and Cascade hops, and WL's new Pacific Ale yeast WLP041. I cant wait until its done!!!

Im transfering it to the secondary tonight and will be dry hopping it as well.

the recipe this is for is a beer kit that i had coming in the mail. if you look under this heading under "looking for hop overload" you'll see the 2 recipes that i'll be doing. the first one have 6oz of hops(2oz yakima magnum, 2oz nothern brewer, 1 oz liberty, 1 oz cascade) and the other has 5 oz of centennial hops. i haven't brewed a batch of beer in about 8 years. i've been brewing for about 12 years though. i guess part of the long break has just been moving around alot and being deployed with the military. i'm still in, but have descided not to let the moving and stuff get in the way of brewing!!!

LOL i just read again, and you asked what they were for, not whats the recipe!! lol thier for a Double IPA Ale. i like extreme hops. i'm a big barley wine lover, love the bitterness. i'm looking for other beers that have a high hop bill with out as much alcohol as a barleywine. course i could just figure out a recipe but i have to get back into brewing first.

I used magnums in an Imperial Stout and got dinged on the score cards for the hopping being too non-assertive.

I used them in my cranberry ale as a bittering and aroma hop. I thought they were fine. It was lightly hopped (16 IBU) but I'd use again. Seemed clean and not overpowering.

Back