Anybody ever use one of these as a fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it would seal as well as we would want for fermentation, unless there was a secondary container housed within it. Also note that it has a DC plug. You would need to rewire it and use an AC inverter to power it.

I think making a chilled box with a mini fridge might be an easier solution.

I think the op is considering this as a chamber and not actually a fermentation vessel. The description says it can stand vertically and still operate, so a bucket might fit inside. The electrical conversion is another issue.

Well, these are frequently on Craigslist for dirt cheap. That is the only real reason I ask. It is a stretch, I know, but I was just trying to do some out of the box thinking.

Okay, okay. It was three in the morning and I had had a few too many homebrews. :drunk:

The electrical conversion is another issue.

they sell adapters all over the place. so that part is easy to take care of

i dont think a bucket will fit inside though, unless you are planning small brews?

To be honest, in my state last night, I was kinda of just wondering if you could do a sort of open top fermentation in it. Like somehow remove the lid and put a towel over it.

Even if it wouldn't work as a ferm chamber, it is rated to heat to 155*. An automatic electric mash tun, perhaps?

Back